Please help me, I'm going a little bit crazy!

-MattK-

background:

• I left my job in June and I have a 12 month non-compete, so I have a lot of free time on my hands right now. (I know a 12 month non-compete sounds crazy but it's just a feature of the business that I'm in)
  • We've only been in our new house for a year and I don't have a shop space yet.  I've been working on getting a shop designed and built but made some bad decisions along the way and the expected timing on the shop build is getting pushed out into next year.  I'm going to get the shop I want within my budget but it's just going to take a bit of extra time.
  • In the meantime I'm going a bit stir crazy and need an outlet.  The summer has been great but the kids just went back to school so I have these big boring holes in the middle of my day now.
  • I have a bit of space in the garage (in between my mothball fleet of power tools) where I can work.  Dust collection will be ok but not great (festool CT mini, ridged shop vac) and I probably won't set up my big stationary tools.

Here's the plan I've figured out:

• I'm going to teach myself to properly use hand tools.  I've  been a woodworker for a decade, have some chisels and a block plane... I'm going to buy a few more planes, maybe a saw or two... probably sign up for Shannon Rogers Hand Tool School and see what I can learn.
  • I'm going to learn how to turn wood.  Given where we have a sub-panel, I think I can get one 220V line to run a lathe.  I'm going to try to find a class (I was signed up for one at Woodcraft but it was cancelled) or bribe someone to give me lessons.  Seems like a cool new thing to learn and something I can do without needing heavy-duty dust collection.

I'd love some help with picking out a workbench.  My initial plan was "get shop, set up tools, build roubo" but I think given the current situation, I'm going to have to settle for buying a bench.  Here's where I am on my research there:

• I can get a beefy grizzly bench (H8110) for ~$1000 delivered.  Only seen a few reviews out there - kinda mixed... bowed, cupped.. but it looks heavy as hell.
  • I can get a Sjobergs from Woodcraft for $1500-2500 depending on the model (I'm looking at the heavier ones).  Better reviews than the grizzly from what I've seen but there is some "this thing is terrible" noise out there
  • Lie-Nielsen: expensive ($2500) but can get custom (I'm a lefty).  Have a one month lead time.  I don't have to worry about shipping - I can drive up to Maine to pick it up
  • I can get a Sjobergs "hobby" bench for $4-600... (just worried that it'd be too light-weight) - This leaves the possibility of building the roubo on the table because it wouldn't be such a big deal to ditch this once the shop's built.

Any other ideas that I'm missing?

Happy to take other advice for how I should be spending my time, too!

Thanks,

Matt

12 month is crazy.  What is your industry? 

The only bench out of those I have actually touched is the sjoberg at woodcraft. It really looks to be a well built,  heavy tool.  The finish on the beech was also quite pretty.

I do sort of envy your predicament. Having a year to putz around and learn a few new skills sounds awesome. I also go crazy on vacation so maybe the grass is greener..

I'm in investment management.  You're right that it's a great luxury to have this time off - just in my master plan this was supposed to happen after the shop was built! 

Currently I'm feeling a general frustration because those analytical, problem solving parts of the brain just aren't getting used enough.  If I'm not careful I'm going to get tempted into re-engineering some nonsensical  household process and either get maimed or, worse, stuck doing the laundry ;-)  Putzing around and learning new skills (and staying out of my wife's way) should be really healthy.

I think I can see a sjoberg bench at a Woodcraft about an hour away - might be a good way to use half a day!

If you are set on purchasing a workbench instead of making one... 

Out of the ones you've posted about, I'd choose the Lie-Nielsen bench without question. I have seen nothing but stellar reviews on it. I almost bought one, and looking back at what I've spent on my half finished bench, it wouldn't have been a bad way to go... 

I'm in investment management.  You're right that it's a great luxury to have this time off - just in my master plan this was supposed to happen after the shop was built! 

Currently I'm feeling a general frustration because those analytical, problem solving parts of the brain just aren't getting used enough.  If I'm not careful I'm going to get tempted into re-engineering some nonsensical  household process and either get maimed or, worse, stuck doing the laundry ;-)  Putzing around and learning new skills (and staying out of my wife's way) should be really healthy.

I think I can see a sjoberg bench at a Woodcraft about an hour away - might be a good way to use half a day!

specifically, I don't know what "investment management" is. Did you run a fund or family of funds?  The non compete sucks but I watch money managers change funds and fund families all the time. My analyst is constantly dropping focus list funds because the 20 year manager left and they give the fund to some yahoo 20something MBA...

specifically, I don't know what "investment management" is. Did you run a fund or family of funds?  The non compete sucks but I watch money managers change funds and fund families all the time. My analyst is constantly dropping focus list funds because the 20 year manager left and they give the fund to some yahoo 20something MBA...

I was at a long/short equity hedge fund - I'm more on the business/leadership side than the investing side.  I've been at a few funds, this was the first with a non-compete.  I know of one with a 2 year non-compete!

You may want to consider the challenge of building your workbench. Maybe build it so it will knock down when you are ready to move it into your new work shop. I am currently in the middle of building another work bench that will dismantle into 5 sections so that once I retire from my full time job (UPS driver) sell our house and move somewhere a bit warmer the bench will travel with ease to it's new location. 

I was at a long/short equity hedge fund - I'm more on the business/leadership side than the investing side.  I've been at a few funds, this was the first with a non-compete.  I know of one with a 2 year non-compete!

Is an non com-compete claws only apply to working for bushiness who are in the same line, in which it would exclude banking, I had to sign one when I worked for my last company, but it did not apply to the company that I work for now since they are an contracted company,  and can you be an consultant?

Is an non com-compete claws only apply to working for bushiness who are in the same line, in which it would exclude banking, I had to sign one when I worked for my last company, but it did not apply to the company that I work for now since they are an contracted company,  and can you be an consultant?

Can't consult, can't change geographies, can't compete with my previous company (and they're business is broader than just HFs)...  it's pretty comprehensive.  I really want to be back in my industry because I love what I do - best to wait it out (and get the most out of the year off!

Thanks Tom - looks like only the little one is in stock!  Their "large European" bench looks interesting...

If you are set on purchasing a workbench instead of making one... 

Out of the ones you've posted about, I'd choose the Lie-Nielsen bench without question. I have seen nothing but stellar reviews on it. I almost bought one, and looking back at what I've spent on my half finished bench, it wouldn't have been a bad way to go... 

I agree - I keep coming back to that one.  I love that I can get it custom - the height I want, set up for a lefty...  Just wonder if I can be patient and wait a month!