Bathroom vanity

Tom Cancelleri

I've been mentioning this for a while. The build is now underway. The vanity will be made from 3/4 walnut plywood. Domino case joinery. Shaker style doors and drawers. 77" wide, and 22" deep. This is what I'm working with 7f24b2092efb6391950b44284c23a9b4.jpg Cleaning up edges since factory edges are pretty terrible. 228a1def0281039e65391da5ad2526d1.jpg After I got the bulk of parts cut, sans cabinet floor. I started cutting out the toe kicks. 4e26a90adf39d7596ec55332c9f7f688.jpg Did the first with a jig saw, then rough cut the second, and flushed using a router bit. e45304ddc9dd4822ee2c4bf2f29d669b.jpg Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's probably gonna be pretty boring, nowhere near as exciting as my Roubo build thread which is possibly the biggest journal I'll ever do. I really learned that I don't like working with plywood. Hardwood is just nicer to work with. I will say though, the Roubo is amazing to work on, infinite clamping options. Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I see that you used a backer sheet when ripping off the factory edges.   

Since I don't have a 4x8 space on the floor to lay the piece down on foam, I put the 1" thick foam on my cabinet saw and set the ply on top and set my track saw depth to slightly cut into the foam. Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Sometimes plywood is just a necessary evil.  I was going to use all hard would to build my kitchen cabinets a number of years back but then the wiser me kicked in and I figured it was a waste of money to use hardwood on the sides of cabinets that would never be seen

I like high quality hardwood ply when it's used the way it's supposed to be used.  It wouldn't make much sense to build a bathroom vanity - or a kitchen full of cabinets - out of solid hardwood.  The biggest challenge is protecting the skins from damage while you're building...not much you can do to repair a dent or heavy scratch.  But I love ply for its dimensional stability, which opens up new design possibilities, and you can get a nice, clean, defect-free straight grain look with ply that is often difficult or impossible with hardwood...especially walnut.  It's all about using the correct material for the application.

It's probably gonna be pretty boring, nowhere near as exciting as my Roubo build thread which is possibly the biggest journal I'll ever do. I really learned that I don't like working with plywood. Hardwood is just nicer to work with. I will say though, the Roubo is amazing to work on, infinite clamping options. Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Like Coop said, you got great gear and skills. Never gets boring watching that!

Good start man. I cut ply sheets the same way. I'm going to get the fes track saw once my circular saw finally dies. Unfortunately,  my circular saw is a craftsman 7" 3 hp model that was given to my dad as a college gradation present from his parents. It's over 30 years old,  still going strong as ever..

I'm thinking of building an MDF base for it to match to a shop made MDF track. Boom.. tracksaw.

Edited by Brendon_t
  • Like 1

It plunges,  when you turn the rust covered wing nut, Pretty sure no saw cuts straight without being guided, who needs dust collection when you've got,  Gravity..  it doesn't have green but does have some red electrical tape on the cord, see, like I said,  it's pretty much the exact same. 

• Like 2

Dude, quit wasting time with that Chinese iron

http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tools/edge-banders/hand-held-edge-bander-conturo-ka-65-574609

Ze Germans do eet bettah! If I were doing cabinets all the time, I'd have a conturo. As it is though, if I'm spending $4000 on a tool it's a sawstop or a big huge bandsaw Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Looks great Tom.  Nice job on the edge banding.  Tedious as hell.  Are those the festool rail extensions/connector things?  Do they work well?  I've always wondered if they introduce any play into it.

Thanks Brian. Those are Festool rail connectors. They work well if you take 2 minutes to connect the rails together. You use 2 connectors, one goes on top, one on bottom. Snug down the screws a bit (not too much so you don't dent the rails) have the saw on top of the part where it connects so it is lined up perfectly. I check with my 36" woodpecker straight edge to make sure it's completely straight.