Help with identifying species

tkpunk

Hey folks, trying to figure out what kind of wood this is. It's "reclaimed" from a crappy old coffee table my wife had. It was covered in a dark brown stain and I planed it all down. I'd like to turn it into a less crappy coffee table, but want to try and match the wood for  base. The old base was just pine 2x4's. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tkpunk

http://imgur.com/a/aOl71#0

So how can you tell it's wolmanized? And why is it the world's worst wood?

Pine is mediocre wood, generally...at least the pine that's widely available these days.  It's soft and boring to look at.  Second generation pine is pretty much worthless for fine furniture IMO.  Old growth pine is denser and far more stable but it can be difficult to source.  And after you saturate it with chemicals it's not only hideous to look at and work with, it also poses health risks.  So new growth wolmanized pine is worse, worser and worstest.  Of course plenty of people will disagree with me but they'd be wrong. :)

If you're dead set on working with softwoods, try some straight grain douglas fir or cypress.  That stuff can at least be pretty and fairly stable, although still not much harder than the Stay-Puft marshmellie man.