Clamps when starting out

Nigel

Hi all

I live in South Africa where our exchange rate is roughly R12/$1, and feel the pinch on buying new equipment. However I want to begin getting some decent clamps. I have watched Marc's video on clamps, however I just can't afford the Jet range, which is unfortunate, however the Bessey range is within my pricing currently. What size do you think I should opt for first? I was thinking either Bessey F-Clamp 400X80MM (TG40B8) or Bessey F-Clamp 500X100MM (TG50S10).

Thanks for your advice.

So excited to be the first to give the stock answer of "it depends on the type of projects you're going to do" ;-)

Now that's out of the way...  If these are going to be your only clamps to start with, then given the choice, I'd go with the longer ones...  You can always slide the clamping mechanism down closer to the end but you can't make a short clamp longer. 

You might also look for some pipe clamps.  They're generally more affordable and they give you more flexibility in changing sizes - you only need a longer or shorter pipe. I even see some pipe clamps via google that look more F-clamp style (Jorgensen #56) - that might be worth looking into, too.

Good luck, Nigel!

I agree with Matt, pipe clamps are probably the best compromise between cost, function, and quality. They are easy to extend in length, offer great clamping pressure, and can use shop made auxilliary jaws to meet special clamping needs. When cost is a big concern, don't overlook the usefulness of simple blocks and wedges, either. Regarding Jet vs. Bessey, I only have 2 Bessey F-style clamps, and I really prefer the Jorgensen type spring clutch over the Bessey lower jaw that depends on racking forces to lock it against the bar.

I have Jorgenson "F" style clamps that are almost 40 years old and they still work great. I have many lengths but the 6" ones get used almost daily in my small custom shop.

Pipe clamps are a good compromise to start with but I wouldn't buy too many. You should buy parallel jaw style clamps as soon as you can afford them. They really do a much better job.

It depends to a large extent on your projects.  I find cheap F clamps from harbor freight to work great in the smaller sizes (6" and 12"), are so so in medium (18"), and suck in large sizes (24" and up).  They just flex too much in the larger sizes.

I like pipe clamps for my longer clamp needs.

None of my clamps were expensive ( the 6" ones are $5.99 and often on sale).  I know you probably don't have harbor freight there, but maybe there are some similar clamps available.

I also have a big canvas bag of cheap c-clamps that don't see much use.

My suggestion is to buy a few at a time as needed.  That way when you decide what works for you you can stock up in the ones that work for you.  Once you know which ones you like you can stock up on them when they are on sale. 

I find that I use a pretty large number of clamps, so I am happy that inexpensive ones work out fine for my work.  Even the inexpensive ones wind up being a sizable investment when you have 30, 40, 50, or more.

When it comes to clamps, more important than quality is quantity. As for Besseys, they only make a difference with their parallel clamps (k-body Revo).

I don't fully agree. I can easily securely clamp  a 16" wide panel glue up with 2 jets where the harbor freight and jorgenson  f clamps will take at least 10 ish on both sides as they flex so much. I would definately go a few quality over a grip of crap clamps.

Unless you take the long view...

I seriously doubt the HF clamps will be working "good as new" in 30 years.  Maybe a few cheap clamps at first but as frequently as short clamps are needed the Jorgenson F clamps are well worth buying for the long run.

The OP is about buying clamps in South Africa... I bet Jorgensen clamps cost more than gold in South Africa... literally.

Get the clamps you can afford and start building your project. We're not talking about safety equipment here, or tools that will have a direct effect on the quality of your piece.

Hi all

I live in South Africa where our exchange rate is roughly R12/$1, and feel the pinch on buying new equipment. However I want to begin getting some decent clamps. I have watched Marc's video on clamps, however I just can't afford the Jet range, which is unfortunate, however the Bessey range is within my pricing currently. What size do you think I should opt for first? I was thinking either Bessey F-Clamp 400X80MM (TG40B8) or Bessey F-Clamp 500X100MM (TG50S10).

Thanks for your advice.

Hoe gaan dit Nigel? Kan u vir ons se wat u gaan maak? Dit kan 'n verskil maak.

What are you needing to clamp? There may be really inexpensive ways around this. Clamps are not always necessary. For example, edging is best 'clamped" with blue tape. Tie downs are excellent for mitred (or other) cabinet sides or joints on chairs.

If you do have access to Bessey, they are my first choice anyway: for one-handed clamps, I have a bunch of the duo clamps. The K-body Revo clamps are lifetime heavy duty clamps. I have mainly in 600mm and a bunch in 1000mm. I also have a number of shorter F clamps. These are all no-name versions of medium quality. They are used when I need multiple clamps for a job, such as bending wood around a form. Otherwise my joinery is often held together by the joinery itself: dovetails, sliding dovetails, wedged tenons, and draw bored tenons.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek Thanks for your reply. I see you are an ex. pat from SA with your Afrikaans. I am in Pietermaritzburg, KZN. I am looking for general woodworking clamps but my initial project for these are going to be a wine rack and side table. My thought though is to buy good quality, which may take longer but will last a lifetime and be something I build up over time. I like getting the best I can afford and that's going to do the job best in all circumstances. What are the throat depths that you would recommend starting off with, or is the wider the better? Thanks again. Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk

When thinking about clamps, it's not just ‘glue-ups’, but general shop use – for example: temp clamping of a fence.  I've got a reasonable (well, OK -- somewhat excessive) collection of clamps... So my use breakdown should be pretty good for what get's used in a hobby shop -vs- what sits on the rack collecting dust...

http://www.amazon.com/Jorgensen-3712-HD-12-Inch-Heavy-Duty-Steel/dp/B00005R1HW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442157165&sr=8-1&keywords=Jorgensen+12%22+Heavy+Duty+Steel+Bar+Clamp

Uses – temp fences, jigs, drill press, the odds-ends of making stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-K-Body-Fixed-Parallel-Clamp/dp/B00H2AH3YC/ref=sr_1_7?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1442157470&sr=1-7&keywords=bessey+K-body

Uses - Small panel glue-ups. When I run short, I substitute the 40”. Get used on most projects.

http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-KR3-512-12-inch-Parallel-2-Pack/dp/B001HSO6SQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1442157942&sr=1-1&keywords=k-body+12%22

Uses – Used on almost every project – When I run short, I substitute the 24”.

http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-Tradesman-Extra-Heavy-Capacity/dp/B0035YGNFO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1442157271&sr=8-4&keywords=Bessey+Tradesman+Professional+Series+Bar+Clamp%2C

Uses - Bent lamination, general use. I frequently run short and substitute the 40s. Get used on most projects.

http://www.amazon.com/Jorgensen-3724-HD-24-Inch-Heavy-Duty-Steel/dp/B00005R1HY/ref=pd_bxgy_469_text_y

Uses – Drawers, General light-duty use

http://www.amazon.com/Pony-Tools-3203HT-Spring-Clamp/dp/B000683E2C/ref=sr_1_9?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1442157674&sr=1-9&keywords=pony+clamps

Uses – When you need a third hand. Get used on almost every project.

http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Clamp-Wood-Hand-Screw/dp/B00N1B25XK/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1442157749&sr=1-3&keywords=hand+screws

Uses – Stopped cuts, Jig assembly, General use, Curved joinery, etc. Get used on most projects.

http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-KR3-540-40-inch-Parallel-2-Pack/dp/B001HSO6TK/ref=sr_1_12?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1442157470&sr=1-12&keywords=bessey+K-body

Uses – Large panel glue-up

Note: These are great: http://www.bowclamp.com/  -- you can get by with fewer clamps. But more importantly, these can substitute for deep-reach clamps -- quite expensive... I use them on many carcass/case projects.

Note2: Indispensable for jigs:

http://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-20301-Horizontal-Quick-Release-Capacity/dp/B004JWGYIM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442158926&sr=8-1&keywords=toggle+clamps

Final note: You don't have to get the brands listed above... They are just the ones I have -- there are lots of others. It's more about the style and size... One thing though, if you can, avoid cheap clamps... Clamps made of light gauge steel can be worse than useless -- they bend, warp, slip, etc... The brands/models listed above tend to be the 'heavy-duty' versions... I abuse my clamps terribly, and they have stood the test of time...

Edited by hhh
  • Like 1