Powermatic Jointer Mod

rodger.

I was not getting very good DC on my new Powermatic HH jointer, so I had to create my own 5" collection hood.  I tried to buy one first, so I could keep a clean "non hack" look.  Alas, I could not locate an 8.25 by 8.25 hood that had a 5" opening.  So i did what woodworkers do best, and made my own.

I took a piece of 1/8" hardboard/mdf, and traced the previous hood.  Then I cut it to length and width on the TS.  I traced out a suitable rectangular hole, and cut it with a jigsaw.  I cleaned up the edges of the hole with a file.  Then I used a 5" furnace takeoff, and cut off the little tabs.  I taped on it on with aluminum foil HVAC tape, and viola!  I was done.  I bought some weather stripping for a tight seal, but in the end i didn't need it.  The uber flat mdf fits very snug against the machine body.

It hurt me to "ugly up" my new jointer, but the massive improvement in DC is worth it. The 4" to 5" adapter REALLY chokes the collector and reduces the airflow dramatically, so this is a pretty substantial improvement for about 15 mins work.

IMG_20150908_193549450.thumb.jpg.bf2b222IMG_20150908_193540819.thumb.jpg.4f9af2a

• Like 1

Pug if it helps who cares about looks!  Then again maybe you could call powermatic and get either the paint color code or a couple bottled of touch up paint if the have. Black also wouldn't be bad. 

The original hood was black plastic, so I suppose I could spray it black for a cleaner look.  Good suggestion.

• Like 1