Shop ideas for planer outfeed

Brendon_t

I may get a PWI but ooh well. 

Thinking about starting the roubo build has me wondering if I should in some way fix the infeed and outfeed table supports for my delta lunchbox planer. I say fix but I'm not meaning they don't work,  mitre like get them in a fixed position so that I can shim them up/down if needed to deal with the snipe monster. 

Initial thought is to double up some 3/4 sheet good, affix it to the harbor freight 16"x16" base and set the planer  atop with some sorry ofor stop on the outfeed to keep it from sliding that direction. 

Any other thoughts or solutions? 

You'll definitely need to secure the planer in some way since the slabs will weigh more than the machine and could easily tip it.  You'll probably want some help with the planing too.  I did it alone...mine is a floor-standing model and it was still a challenge.

But I wouldn't worry about the snipe.  You'll be flattening the top at the very end anyway which will remove it...and who cares if there's a little snipe on the underside of the slabs?

Plus...good luck getting rid of snipe anyway.  You can tinker all you want...losing battle.

If you have the space for permanent tables, seems like they would be very helpful for longer stock. I've seen a setup for the 735 that used a melamine top run all the way through the planer. Lose 3/4" of cut depth that way, but you can have a nice flat table up to 8' long.

Yea, I saw something like this also that a guy did on a smaller craftsman planer.  He built a torsion box set up of sorts that was on both sides of the planer with a melamine top that went through the planer.  He could just lift it off and out of the way when not in use. 

When i had that planer, I built a 5' flat table that I would put "inside" the planer to act as indeed/out feed. 

Construction was 2 sheets 1/2" plywood glued and screwed together for the base, a hardwood edge on each side that went 1/4" over the work surface to keep the stock from going off  the side, and two cleats on the bottom (one butted against indeed and the other against the out feed).

I did give up 1" of thickness capacity, and 1/2" of width capacity, but it worked fine for most of my cuts and if I needed to run a larger board I would just remove the jig