OK, let's wrap this up. Before the gate could be hung there were a few small finishing steps. Of course I had to make mounting posts on which the gate would hang. These consisted of simple boards joined together in an L-shape. The front board gets a rounded top end.
This was cut roughly with the bandsaw and then sanded down to the line on the disk sander.
Ideally I would've liked to join these with a tongue-and-groove joint or something similar but the sizes of the stock I had available meant that I couldn't afford to cut a tongue in the side boards. I would lose too much wood and the posts wouldn't be thick enough for the gate to fit against it. My best option so was to cut a groove in both boards and join them with a floating tongue (if that's what you'd call it). I cut the grooves on the table saw but in retrospect I think I might have been able to cut neater grooves on the router table.
Glue, clamp, wait
Then cut the bottom end to length, showing a cross cut of this floating tongue joint. Hmmm, not the tightest fit, but I think it'll hold up.
I thought I'd quickly illustrate another technique which I've never used before but I'm sure all of you are well familiar with. The gate got a nasty bump against a screw head on one of the stiles, leaving an unsightly imprint.
So, I thought I'd try the wet cloth and iron treatment
And it is gone. Completely! I had read of this technique before and I understand the principle but I didn't actually expect that it would work so perfectly. I'm really impressed.
With everything assembled, the next big task was to sand that puppy through the grits. No pictures to illustrate this boring stage but I went from 100 up to 440.
And for the finish I opted for Danish Oil, 4 coats of it.
This graphic didn't end up as cool as I saw it in my mind's eye, due mostly to different lighting conditions when the different images were taken and the limitations of GIF image quality, but I'll include it anyway.
And that's the gate. All that remains is to hang it. This was completed yesterday and I'll put up the last pictures in another post.