Very scary fire scare

Brendon_t

Had a major fire scare today. Everybody knows they need at least one fire extinguisher on hand. Here's why. ad6b30a8f62a06d2378707f91ca3f12b.jpg4a0f698d5b734c3ff12699e90731a4e5.jpg Like many bathrooms with an exaust fan, I hadn't changed the filter in a few years. Luckily I was working at home when the wife went off screaming like crazy. I ran up stairs in two bounds to find smoke billowing out of the kids bathroom. I have a fire extinguisher. I know I do. With the fire flowing across the ceiling,, dropping firing plastic onto the toilet, and a towel on fire, I couldn't for the life of me remember where it was. I was able to get the fire out, after getting the kids down stairs and out of the house. The infuriating thing to me. I have 2 smoke alarms up there. Smoke had covered one completely, the other one that is attached to the home monitor/security system. One never went off, one went off after the fire being out for about 4 minutes. Tomorrow, I'm getting a few more extinguishers and going to try to not call first alert and give them a piece of my mind. It could have been much worse, but seriously guys, inventory your emergency gear, know where it is.

You know, I don't think the bathroom fans around here have filters on them normally.  Glad to hear everything was ok!  We keep a fire extinguisher under every sink and one in my shop in the basement.  As important to be sure to have some is to be sure that they haven't expired.  When I was a kid the oven caught fire once and the fire extinguisher had lost pressure so mom put it out with baking soda.

I wonder if your detectors were malfunctioning or if the fan pipe was pulling up most of whatever element of smoke generally sets them off... not sure what they key off of directly.

Brendon, Glad to hear that the damage wasn't any worse than it was and that your family is safe.

Remember when buying fire extinguishers, avoid the Kidde plastic valve ones and Kidde altogether, if possible.

You know, I don't think the bathroom fans around here have filters on them normally.  Glad to hear everything was ok!  We keep a fire extinguisher under every sink and one in my shop in the basement.  As important to be sure to have some is to be sure that they haven't expired.  When I was a kid the oven caught fire once and the fire extinguisher had lost pressure so mom put it out with baking soda.

I wonder if your detectors were malfunctioning or if the fan pipe was pulling up most of whatever element of smoke generally sets them off... not sure what they key off of directly.

It's important to know, that baking soda, not flour, can be used in a pinch. Throwing flour on the fire is like using a blow torch!

I installed one last year, they don't have filters.  They exhaust air outside, so there's no reason to have a filter.  I would update all the fans in your house.

Since everyone is okay and no one got hurt I'd like to say that is one mean crap, sir.

Check out the Nest protect smoke alarm, it does carbon monoxide, smoke, fire, they link together, when one goes off all of the smoke alarms speak and tells you where and what the problem is. It will also send you alerts instantly to your phone. If you have a Nest Thermostat (I highly recommend it) it can connect to that as well and circulate air if it detects carbon monoxide build up. It will also connect to the Philips wireless light bulbs and flash them to get your attention, connect to a certain type of sprinkler system that will turn on if it detects fire. Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I installed one last year, they don't have filters.  They exhaust air outside, so there's no reason to have a filter.  I would update all the fans in your house.

Since everyone is okay and no one got hurt I'd like to say that is one mean crap

I'm glad yours didnt, but I promise you,  the two in my upstairs did.  I tore one out of the other bathroom last year and installed a silent one. 

Thanks for the well wishes guys.  The point of this really was to get everyone to inventory their gear and share that knowledge with the family. I've lived through some of the most dangerous places on the planet and never frozen up due to muscle memory. I hadn't thought about a fire extinguisher in a few years, I needed one and wasn't prepared.

As crazy as it is, one of my first thoughts was Raefco's house. 

Edited by Brendon_t

I have a bathroom fan that takes about 20 sec to actually start running (guessing the bearings have rusted from the humidity of the shower).  I know it's not right, but this post has bumped it to the top of the priority list!

going to show this to the wife so she doesn't think I'm crazy for tearing the shower apart. ;-)

glad everyone is ok.  Could have been much worse!