TylerYates

Ridgid R4512 Table Saw

8 posts in this topic

Ok so i have the newest ridgid table saw R4512 and love it is a big upgrade from my previous which was one of those little small diy saws that have the fence rail built into the table. my question though is i am trying to build a insert plate for it and am having some serious issues. i have searched the net and found that it is possible but not sure which way would be best. the throat plate is 15 1/8 inch x 3 3/4 inch by 1/8 inch. One nice feature is that the lip on the table does not go all the way around but there are 4 screws and 1 fixed magnet i believe that stick out about 1/2 - 3/4 inch and about 1/2 inch wide. Which would be the best way to make a insert plate. should i route all the way around with a straight bit or use a drill press and drill out each one of those 5 lips so i still have a lot of thickness.

Got to figure something out as the saw only has one plate and i will be doing alot of dado cuts and have no dado plate.

Personally, I'd use a drill press. That's how the commercially available ones (generally speaking) I've seen are made. Well, actually, they are rabbeted all the way around AND drilled for levelling screws.

I have the Craftsman version. Supposedly Harbor Freight has a plastic cutting board that is exactly the right thickness for an insert but I haven't tried to make one yet. Mine came with a dado insert, you might want to check with Ridgid and make sure you weren't supposed to get one. If not, Sears has em of course.

Yea already checked and nope no dado insert. I rather make one any way for zero clearance

You can get the one Sears sells for the 21833, but that one isn't worth buying unless you have no other option. I was forced to buy one because I don't have a router, but as soon as I get a router, I'm making a replacement ZCI. It's an odd size insert, and no one seems to be making them that size. Hopefully that'll change as the Ridgid saw becomes popular.

I forgot about this topic there is someone who is making them they will fit a grizzly tsaw the craftsman 21833 and the rigid. Lee craft zero clearance is the one making them I believe

I forgot about this topic there is someone who is making them they will fit a grizzly tsaw the craftsman 21833 and the rigid. Lee craft zero clearance is the one making them I believe

Leecraft makes some nice stiff phenolic inserts. Should work out well if it fits.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Popular Now

• Topics

• The only caution I would give you is as far as breed.  I am unaware of the situation in Pennsylvania but here in California the French Bulldog has become way to popular and because of that they are being over bred and problems are arising.  We have a neighbor a couple of doors down that have Frencies and were looking for another but it took a while because they were seeing temperament differences in the parents then at the time they purchased their first two.
    • I don't think you will hurt the dogs hearing using your tools, especially if they don't go in there.  With my mastiff (avatar) before she passed she would lay by the fence when I was working with tools or lawn equipment. If she didn't like the sound she would move away.  My lab is the same way.  Have a great time on the road trip to the breeder.  Don't fight it, cause she will get her puppy.
    • I have worn a respirator for 7/8ths of my time in the hobby, and wouldnt go without one now that i know the dangers of long term exposure to wood dust. I started with the 3M half mask respiratory that marc suggests for around $15 plus the P100 pink filters. Worked pretty well, but i noticed some seepage here and there evidenced by the slight hint of burning wood/fine sanding dust. For whatever reason I would smell things with the drum sander going, or if the table saw blade burned a cut. If you can smell things, that means there are particles in the air you are breathing, so i knew the seal wasnt perfect. I upgraded to the 7500 series mask, which is worth the extra $10 over the 6000 series, in my opinion. Simultaneously, I went through several iterations of eye protection that always fogged up after a few minutes of wearing them. After the 3rd or 4th set, i gave up and never wore eye protection. I know, not a good idea. Sometime this spring, I was at the table saw and a small splinter blew off the back of the rip cut and struck my upper bicep. The projectile left a pretty good cut in my arm, and it was enough of a wake-up call to revisit eye protection. Finally, enough blabbing and on to the pros and cons of the mask!   Pros: The absolute finest eye protection material ive ever seen. It does not fog up--at all, not never. Im astounded by how much I have sweat under high humidity conditions this summer and still that plastic shield is clear as a whistle. I honestly forget i have the shield in front of my face at times, because of the clarity. It protect your entire face and not just your eyes like typical safety glasses. This means you are protected well at the lathe without layering a face shield and respirator. The seal is fantastic. I do not smell a thing when i used to smell occasional burning/sanding dust. You essentially get a double seal with this mask around the outside of your face and the typical half mask seal.  Very comfortable. Just like the shield's clarity, you forget you have the thing on in comfortable temps. It has six points of adjustment with all straps connecting to a rubber pad to spread the pressure distribution over the back of your head. The straps on the half mask respirator have a tendency to dig in.  Plays nicely with the filters from the other 3M masks, so you can switch through organic vapor protection to particle protection easily. I can see this mask being awesome for spraying. Cons: $200 something just for the mask, no filters. It certainly isnt cheap. The rubber straps, while extremely high quality, are thick enough to affect the seal of my over-ear protection. This means things are slightly louder with this mask on, and i need to think about alternative hearing protection. It is like a catcher's mask to get on. It is easier now, but the first few times were awkward and uncomfortable to get it on my face.  If you work in an unconditioned space, get ready to die. This is beyond hot for your face. My shop is in a basement, so it is usually 70-72 and low humidity during the summer. I was soaked with this thing on while milling a stack of boards the other weekend. jointing and planing 8-10' 8/4 boards that are 8-15" wide is no joke, and my face was under water in this mask. I eventually took it off and wore the 7500 series half mask for the rest of the session. What happened? a small knot/chip blew out at the jointer and hit me right in the eye. Thankfully God designed eyelids for a reason, but still.   I do like the mask. Im 28 and i take my health pretty seriously. I didnt like my eyes are unprotected, and i want 100% protection from harmful dust particles. I think this mask delivers on both items very well with the minor setback that your face cannot breathe/evaporate sweat. Im looking forward to using this in the cooler months to come when my basement is 55-60°. Also, if anyone has other ear protection suggestions that would seal better around the 1/8" thick rubber straps, im all ears. I currently use the red and black 3M peltors.   
    • I agree with the other guys, definitely not an issue. Go make you wife happy and get her a couple frechies! Awesome little dogs, i use to want one. Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
    • Neither current dog nor preceding dog ever cared about or showed any sign of suffering under power tool usage.
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      Eric.
      Eric.
    2. 2
    3. 3
      Mike.
      Mike.
    4. 4
      Llama
      Llama
    5. 5