Ridgid R4512 Table Saw

TylerYates

Ok so i have the newest ridgid table saw R4512 and love it is a big upgrade from my previous which was one of those little small diy saws that have the fence rail built into the table. my question though is i am trying to build a insert plate for it and am having some serious issues. i have searched the net and found that it is possible but not sure which way would be best. the throat plate is 15 1/8 inch x 3 3/4 inch by 1/8 inch. One nice feature is that the lip on the table does not go all the way around but there are 4 screws and 1 fixed magnet i believe that stick out about 1/2 - 3/4 inch and about 1/2 inch wide. Which would be the best way to make a insert plate. should i route all the way around with a straight bit or use a drill press and drill out each one of those 5 lips so i still have a lot of thickness.

Got to figure something out as the saw only has one plate and i will be doing alot of dado cuts and have no dado plate.

I have the Craftsman version. Supposedly Harbor Freight has a plastic cutting board that is exactly the right thickness for an insert but I haven't tried to make one yet. Mine came with a dado insert, you might want to check with Ridgid and make sure you weren't supposed to get one. If not, Sears has em of course.

You can get the one Sears sells for the 21833, but that one isn't worth buying unless you have no other option. I was forced to buy one because I don't have a router, but as soon as I get a router, I'm making a replacement ZCI. It's an odd size insert, and no one seems to be making them that size. Hopefully that'll change as the Ridgid saw becomes popular.