Advice on making pocket hole joints

Juliea

Hi everyone, 

I'm a beginner seeking advice.  

I recently got a pocket hole jig and set it up.  I am pretty sure I've done that correctly.  Some of the videos suggested using a nickel to set the depth of the bit, and I've set the collar so that the drill stops just short of the base plate.  I've been practicing and the holes themselves look pretty nice.

However, the joints don't seem strong.  Is it possible I'm not using long enough screws?  Or do I just need to keep practicing?  

Thanks so much for any advice!

I have a kreg model, and the depth of cut is established by the jig (adjustable) and the drill bit collar.  The collar has a scale (built into the body of the jig).  Makes drilling perfect holes a snap.  

Not sure about the model you have, does the manual indicate best practice?

• Like 2

Unfortunately the manual doesn't say a lot.  But yes, this is similar in that you set the depth of the cut by using the collar on the drill bit.

The holes look nice and neat, but I am still not doing something right.  I did order some of the Kreg screws and they seem more substantial than the ones that came with the jig.  Maybe I just need to practice a little more and experiment with different size screws.

I will report back!  

Unfortunately the manual doesn't say a lot.  But yes, this is similar in that you set the depth of the cut by using the collar on the drill bit.

The holes look nice and neat, but I am still not doing something right.  I did order some of the Kreg screws and they seem more substantial than the ones that came with the jig.  Maybe I just need to practice a little more and experiment with different size screws.

I will report back!  

what is going wrong?  Are your joints not lining up?  Screws not biting?

• Like 1

Terrific advice, everyone, thank you all very much!  

Here's where I think I was goofing up:  (1) the wood scraps I was using were so junky that they didn't have enough grain to hold the screws.  So I found some better hunks of wood.  (2) I had the depth of the drill bit set a little too deep.  That was making the holes weak. (3) Clamping the pieces while assembling made a huge difference.  (4)  I hadn't made sure that the pieces I was trying to join were square and free of chips.

I still need to practice but there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Took me a few tries as well. As you learned already clamping is critical. What I do is first clamp lightly then tap as needed so that all edges are flat. Then tighten the clamp. To make it even tighter sometimes I will drive the screw through the drilled board then remove it. This exposes excess material at the screw exit point. Then I take a drill bit, a large one, and turn it a couple of times into the exit, just enough to remove the material. Then assemble. Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

• Like 1