Ceiling fan wiring

collinb

Living room has its entrance near the front door on the right and a larger opening to the dining room.  We would like to put a ceiling fan near the middle of the living room. But the joists run across and the ideal switch location is by the front entry opening.  I could drill through a half-dozen joists, then jog over and go down the wall.  That seems overly complicated.

It seems simplest to me to run the power first over to the load-bearing wall, down to the basement, then up to the switch.  (Current wiring to the switch comes up through the basement  to the noted switch and then out again to the various outlets.)  I would like the outlets to be live and not switch-controlled.  That’s the easy part. 

The tough part is getting the ceiling fan wiring to go from the fan down to the basement.  Specifically, it’s how to make that turn at the corner of the load-bearing wall.  Is that appropriate? Is there a better way?

livingRoomCeilingFan.jpg

If the house is drywalled, I'd just cut the channels needed. If you don't finish the rock yourself, a pro will patch and be paint ready in one day (assuming no texture) with setting type mud. You'll be out the cost of the mud man for a day and a gallon or two of paint to have the wires where future workers will expect to find them. 

No attic access?  If room above is carpeted you could pull carpet near the wall and cut subfloor to access the wall and floor cavity to fish the wire.

The upstairs floors are oak so I don't want to modify them.

If the house is drywalled, I'd just cut the channels needed. If you don't finish the rock yourself, a pro will patch and be paint ready in one day (assuming no texture) with setting type mud. You'll be out the cost of the mud man for a day and a gallon or two of paint to have the wires where future workers will expect to find them. 

Trying to avoid the expense/time involved in that.

Collin, I'm not sure about your skill level but I know that I am capable of doing just about everything in my house.  I will pay a drywall guy for a few hours EVERY single time.  I also would run the wires correctly, and deal with the drywall after.

actually, that is what I have done, on a few occasions.

I know replying too much can appear argumentative so please understand that I am not all knowing. As you weigh our counsel, try to imagine the cost as a time savings and imagine the savings as a time cost. When you look at it this way, can you really save time? Only you can figure that based on your skill level. I tend to doubt it myself. Don't let that make you think I have negative thoughts about your skill. I just know how I budget for those projects and am often not accurate. 

I would do what CS said if it were my project, but here are a couple other ideas.  Maybe run conduit on the outside wall then bust back into the house between the joists.  This only works if you're joists are parallel to the wire run and not certain about code and waterproofing the opening. Another is to use surface electrical wire raceway.  Works and is easy, but in my opinion looks like hell.  Lastly, you can build a false hollow beam across the room, try to make it look like the house was built with it (may have to do several so it does not look out of place).  Same theme as electrical raceway, but more camouflaged.  

I'd pull the baseboards off, go down, and back up.  Punch through the top plate with a long flexible bit, catch it with a fish tape from the box opening with one of the whisk looking things.  There are special tools just for this, and might or might not be as cheap to buy as some other way. You can even find them in the electrical tool section in HD or Lowes. It's a lot easier if you put a switch in the stud cavity where you drill through the top plate, and you can use the hole for the bit. Use an old work box after you get the wire pulled.  You should see some of the complicated ways we run wires in really old houses.  It doesn't get too bad until you have to go through 4x12 corner braces inside a wall.

this is an example:  there are longer ones  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Flexible-Drill-Bit-Kit-3-Piece-53721/203913339

Edited by Tom King
  • Like 1