(Finally) Installing Dust Collection

wouldwurker

Despite countless unfinished projects, I've found myself overhauling and rearranging my shop. So no better time to finally get some proper dust collection set up. Pipes are hung off the studs (sorry) and I'm still lining things up and shifting things around. Think I still need to use the bandsaw on some bigger boards to really get a feel for the space I need around it. f32a2551f83c6b8d55c85d1ae8df6eec.jpg85851cda616504072047291d84aa4c48.jpg

• Like 1

nice vinny when i set up my shop i made sure that i would have dust collection from the start didnt want to have to instal pipes around all my machine if i could help it. i think  you will appreciate having the machine on while your working but ya get a over arm it bugs me when i have dust all over my table top. 

Edited by duckkisser

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder how the experts here feel about the need to use wire or whatever to ground this plastic pipe because of static electricity?

There has been much debate and hoopla over the need to ground things to avoid a fire hazard. Never heard of a fire actually starting from static discharge, but the first time you injure yourself during the involuntary muscle reaction that results from getting popped with a couple hundred thousand volts of static, you'll become a believer. And have to change your underwear.

Vinny  where does a guy find the green plastic piping I have looked here locally and all I come up with is the heavy wall black stuff?

Thanks yours looks great.
Dee

Yep. Usually labeled s and d, or sewer and drain. It's cheaper, lighter, and happens to fit 4in dust hoses and blast gates. Also, I have no plans of ever running a ground wire through it.

My system is all ungrounded PVC.  I can count on one hand the times I've taken a charge from touching a pipe.  For some reason the blast gates don't ever shock me and that's usually the only thing I'm touching.  I do have one section of vertical pipe near my drum sander and table saw and I can feel the hair on my arm stand on end if I get too close to it right after running a machine for an extended period.

I don't have concerns about fire issues because like Ross said...I've never once heard of or seen an actual incident occur...it's all theoretical as far as I can tell.  I'm far more concerned about my DC sucking a spark off the bandsaw and dumping into the collection drum.  Aside from not running the DC when running the bandsaw, I don't know what to do about avoiding that scenario.

My system is all ungrounded PVC.  I can count on one hand the times I've taken a charge from touching a pipe.  For some reason the blast gates don't ever shock me and that's usually the only thing I'm touching.  I do have one section of vertical pipe near my drum sander and table saw and I can feel the hair on my arm stand on end if I get too close to it right after running a machine for an extended period.

I don't have concerns about fire issues because like Ross said...I've never once heard of or seen an actual incident occur...it's all theoretical as far as I can tell.  I'm far more concerned about my DC sucking a spark off the bandsaw and dumping into the collection drum.  Aside from not running the DC when running the bandsaw, I don't know what to do about avoiding that scenario.

why do you get sparks from your band saw?

I've actually never thought about an ember from the band saw but ivery seen it a few times from the router table.  Makes me a bit nervous but what can you do?  

Makes me a bit nervous but what can you do?  

Exactly, not much.  Don't run your DC is the only solution I can think of.

I don't get many sparks from my 17" with guide bearings but my 1412 tends to throw them on a semi-regular basis with the cool blocks.  If the blade goes wonky because you're backing out of a cut (which technically you shouldn't be doing anyway) or trying to take a curve that's a bit too much for the blade...sparks...sucked into a bin of chips and dust...scary thought.  Surprisingly I rarely hear this concern raised or addressed.

Exactly, not much.  Don't run your DC is the only solution I can think of.

maybe it's the fact that I'm sucking them up and away when it's running but  I noticed it like crazy when cutting the track in the mahogany for my spear fun.  The track to the air was closed up by the bit and when I turned it over,  the dust was packed in the groove and a bit was burning. Not smoking, like on fire once it got oxygen.