Mudroom Sitting Bench in Hickory

MattIsBuffalo

Thank you for the kind words, gents! This is my first project. It's not finished yet (hoping to put something on it this week) but It's definitely been a learning experience. 

My question would be.....Did you learn that hickory is pretty, sturdy, very strong and a bit resilient?  Did you learn also that hickory is a bit of a dullard?  True, it dulls every tool that touches it!, Did you know that Ash and some Apple is as good looking as any hickory you can find, and your tools don't get sharpened 4 and 5 times in a day ?  But so far you've done a great job, and probably learned a bit about sharp tools!

• Like 1

My question would be.....Did you learn that hickory is pretty, sturdy, very strong and a bit resilient?  Did you learn also that hickory is a bit of a dullard?  True, it dulls every tool that touches it!, Did you know that Ash and some Apple is as good looking as any hickory you can find, and your tools don't get sharpened 4 and 5 times in a day ?  But so far you've done a great job, and probably learned a bit about sharp tools!

Oh god yes. I really wanted the contrast in grain. I'll have to look at Apple wood more closely ;) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great looking bench.  I love the look of the hickory.  I'm not usually a fan of it for larger projects, because the contrast can be too much on a larger scale, but on something small like a bench, I think it looks great.  

It is tough on tools though.  I made my roubo out 4/4 hickory, because I got a great deal on it off of craigslist.  I went through 2 sets of planer blades just on that one project.  Not to mention all of the splinters I had to pick out of my hands.  So many splinters.

• Like 1