Help Identifying Veneer

ClintonR

Hi All, new here so bear with me. It appears to be a great community. I like refinishing solid wood generally but I've come across a few veneer pieces lately that I need help with. I have no idea how to identify wood and haven't attempted to refinish veneer that needed repair previously. The two areas that need repair are trashed, so I'm thinking I'll need to replace the entire area so matching won't be too much of an issue, just want to be in the same ballpark. I can strip, sand and re-stain veneer can I not?

This is a vanity:dscn2068.thumb.jpg.d0dbf6bc228d413f8031f

A wardrobe:dscn2070.thumb.jpg.2b9452b673783d5898575

dscn2087.thumb.jpg.dd102b53dceb903d26ccf

A solid wood secretary/winthrop pull out desk:

dscn2090.thumb.jpg.f91c31644f59d19d5e224

Any help would be appreciated. Nice to meet everyone.

ClintonR

Edited by ClintonR
deleted extranious pic

Thanks again everyone, it means the world to me. Next question, how do you know? Experience, color, grain? More so even, how did you learn? I saw another post about some places selling sample books, is that a good option?

Wish me luck, I'm sure I'll be checking in again and let you know how it goes.

Experience of working with many woods for me. I have a few "old school" low tech books on the shelf, a few iPad apps, google of course and the wood database is a great source of information http://www.wood-database.com

Also the forum members are great at IDing timbers. Basically you need good pictures of the grain and even taking pictures looking on the end grain helps.

It also helps if you say where in the world you are as there can be many species that look similar. For instance European oak looks similar to American white oak but there are subtle differences which are reflected in their Latin names.

• Like 1