Tape measure

Cliff

In the shop, I work in Metric and SAE... So I need a tape measure with both scales.. I found the Festool to be clearly marked in both scales, has a compass function and can be dropped off the bench hundreds of times without breaking... It's overpriced for what it is, but that's to be expected...

For DIY, woodshed, garage, wife's toolbox, et al --- the 16' FatMax is the tape of choice..

I've got a dozen tape measures. My favorite is my Milwaukee https://www.milwaukeetool.com/hand-tools/tape-measure/48-22-5125 I've got a 16' and a 25' I also have 5 older stanleys, a 25 foot stanley fatmax, a couple of Kameleon fractional tape measures, and a Fastcap metric tape measure.

I have a few folding rulers from lee valley that I prefer for certain tasks. 

• Like 1

I have always used fatmax on the jobsite. For most tradesman around here, that is the go to tape. For the shop i find it to be too big because I carry it around in my apron. I use a 12' stanley for the shop. I bought the festool tape and it has never been used as the spring is junk and it drives me crazy.

I like the lefty righty from Fastcap also.  One feature that I really like is it locks when you extend and then you use the lock button to release and retract it.

I also took the belt clip of like Steve below... for the same reason

Edited by Chet K.

1x25' Powerlock for me for everything from framing houses to making cabinets.  I've used them forever, and nothing else seems right in my hand.  I take the belt hook off.  There are probably over 20 of them laying around, fits perfectly in the tape pocket in my tool belt.  Fatmax's always too big for me.  I buy a couple every time HD has them on sale for $8.88.  If one gets dropped on the hook, it gets tossed.  Start of any job gets all the ones used synchronized, and any outliers get tossed.  With the saw man using a sharp no.4 pencil, measurements get called to 64ths.  It's a reflex action that I control the retraction speed with finger pressure on the tape, and always catch the hook with a finger, never letting it slap home on it's own.

http://www.sears.com/stanley-1-in-x-25-ft-steel-tape/p-00997382000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=00997382000&pla=&kispla=00997382000P&mktRedirect=y

Edited by Tom King
  • Like 1

I have a Craftsman my dad gave me a while back that I like a lot, although I don't believe they sell them anymore so if it breaks I'll have to figure out who manufactured it.  I'd guess Stanley from Sears current offerings.  For construction type duties I use the free Harbor Freight tapes, although for shop use I have taken to using a tape at all less and less as I've acquired more rigid and folding rules.

If your working in metric the Fastcap True 32 tape has all the standard 32mm spacings and associated points marked . This does speed up layout work for line boring for hardware and adjustable shelves.

i sometimes switch to metric for accuracy. I find it easier to go straight to a measurement like 1568 mm than 5' 1 47/64 th .

• Like 1