DC in a closet vs just hangin' on the wall

-MattK-

Any thoughts on building a sound-proofing closet for the DC vs just hangin' it on the wall?  I'm still playing Barbie dreamhouse with the shop layout and considering swapping the DC to a different corner.  I think it'll make duct layout marginally better, but it'll now be right by the workbench.

(dust collector is a clear vue 1800 if it matters - I haven't heard how loud it is since it's still in the box waiting for a home)

thanks!

Matt

Tips I don't have. It is too broad a topic for me to engage succinctly. One word of caution: don't starve the dust collector for ambient air. The air being drawn through the pipe will not sufficiently cool the motor. Much of noise blocking tries to address air movement so you have to strike a balance. 

• Like 2

There are 38628372729 threads out there about this.  For CV in particular they have decent forums with good info.  Do some googling about clearvue sound reduction and you'll find plenty.  

One of the users on CV forums achieved a massive reduction without completely enclosing the thing. Venting outside helps a ton since the filters are loudest part...some recommend just enclosing those (allowing for air exchange obviously). The pipe between the blower and the filter is also among the loudest.  If you just wrap that piece with the heavy foam insulation stuff like they use for HVAC ductwork it can have an impact. 

Lots of options and lots of people interested in it so there's LOTS of info out there. Good luck. 

Matt, one thing to keep in mind. If you plan on venting the cyclone outdoors (which i strongly recommend ) then the noise isn't really a big issue. It is MUCH quieter when setup this way. Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

I wanna wait and see your heating bill this winter before I commit to venting outside, Shane!  ;-)

I wanna wait and see your heating bill this winter before I commit to venting outside, Shane!  ;-)

Hopefully this will help with cold air blowing in and somewhat preheating the cold air before it reaches the shop. Its called a saskatoon loop. 092d4a83634a7e4f081c765c5fbfde78.jpg Its not the perfect solution because one way or another I will be heating more often but I think it will help.

I've decided that venting outside is too much trouble for me, but I really like the idea in theory.  I was thinking of building a heat exchanger, like your loop but using the DC exhaust air to pre-warm the replacement air.

So basically a heat recovery ventilator working with the blower of the cyclone? Thats a really cool idea.

I am so glad I live in Australia. You guys must have some real cold weeks. Have a look at this chart, I live about an hour west and maybe 650 metres up from this location, but much the same. http://www.farmonlineweather.com.au/images/climate/wz_clim_annual_site_66062.png

Oh ya it gets cold. Below zero for about 5 months and the coldest days go below -30. But its a trade off. We dont get tornados, hurricanes or earthquakes of any significant magnitude. Also, there arent really any animals or bugs or snakes that can kill you around here.
  • Like 2

Oh ya it gets cold. Below zero for about 5 months and the coldest days go below -30. But its a trade off. We dont get tornados, hurricanes or earthquakes of any significant magnitude. Also, there arent really any animals or bugs or snakes that can kill you around here.

I'll take a drought and an earth shakeep every 10 years to never have to experience -30*C

Edited by Brendon_t

Where I live there are no earthquakes, no hurricanes, no tornados but we do have Bushfires. Temps are usually between 8 - 30 celcius with extremes of 0 through to 44, but rarely. Dangerous animals...nothing on 4 legs (bears, tigers, lions, mountain lions, jaguars, hippo's) but we do get large venomous snakes and occasionally a nasty spider. They are seasonal and head off in another direction rather than confront you with the exception of Eastern brown snakes. We have a lot of stuff in the ocean that would like to eat or poison you but so do you. I chose not to tempt fate in that area, there are lots of swimming pools, man made or mountain stream natural if I feel the urge to get wetter than a shower. Saltwater crocs are way up north, about 3,000 kilometres away.

We live the dream.

Where I live there are no earthquakes, no hurricanes, no tornados but we do have Bushfires. Temps are usually between 8 - 30 celcius with extremes of 0 through to 44, but rarely. Dangerous animals...nothing on 4 legs (bears, tigers, lions, mountain lions, jaguars, hippo's) but we do get large venomous snakes and occasionally a nasty spider. They are seasonal and head off in another direction rather than confront you with the exception of Eastern brown snakes. We have a lot of stuff in the ocean that would like to eat or poison you but so do you. I chose not to tempt fate in that area, there are lots of swimming pools, man made or mountain stream natural if I feel the urge to get wetter than a shower. Saltwater crocs are way up north, about 3,000 kilometres away.

We live the dream.

thats it,  packing my bag and coming for a visit!  Sounds awesome!  I love Canada, but I don't like the blistering months of Dec through Feb.

Edited by Pug
  • Like 1