Another exotic ID

Pwk5017

ok, I figure I get three of these a week before the forum collectively beats me for my ignorance. Pretty clueless on what this could be. It looked like a turd construction 2x8, but I picked it out of the pile and chucked it in the truck, because it had "product of Thailand" stamped on it and it was laying next to bubinga and wenge. I took a smoother to it to expose some of the wood and it seems like pretty nice stuff. So we know it was shipped out of Thailand and came in through Baltimore. Other than that I haven't a clue on this one. 

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

Edited by Pwk5017
pics

All of this was from the auction that I posted about in the marketplace. For all i know, i left a few exotic boards behind in that lot of hardwood moulding! Still stunned that between here and lumberjocks nobody bought that material. Easily $2000 in quick resale value there, most likely more than that. Alas, you can lead a horse to water, but i think you know the rest. 

Ok, here is my final unkown.

IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

a few more shots. These end grain ones suck. They suck about as much as taking a block plane to exotic end grain. I cant say that was successful or entertaining.

IMG_1336.JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

here is a piece of quarter sawn makore next to the teak on my bench. Tons of color in this one. I can ID this one, because it was written on the side of the board. :D The jatoba proved to be as easy. Ii have a board with super straight vertical grain that I will need to pull out of the stack tomorrow and try to tag a name to.

If anyone is in pittsburgh, I have all of this for sale. The dark boards that have plastic wrap on them are wenge, eric kindly ID'ed the teak, i have about 25bdft of makore, a smattering of mahogany, the 13" mystery board in the middle, some bubinga, and two 8/4 jatoba boards. I was planning on selling the lot of 90-100bdft for $500ish. BUT, that will go up in the market place... where a total of 20 people will look at it.

IMG_1321.JPG

I don't know man, but before I let that much GOOD stuff become firewood, I would have rented me a one way trailer and made it a one tripper.

Ugh, I know. Was a real kick in the nads to leave behind crap I had purchased. The leaf springs on the uhaul were inverted when I took a drink break. 2.5 hours on the highway with a severely overloaded vehicle isnt the smartest thing a man can do, so I told my fiance to mount up and we were leaving the rest behind. I bribed her with a few shoe purchases, that is the only reason she made the trip with me.

Once I sell all this crap--if i sell all this crap--i will do a little write up about purchasing lumber at auction. The sheer cost and effort of transporting the stuff really makes me question if i will ever try it again. I probably purchased a total of 4-5,000 bdft of moulding+rough hardwood for $1000. Who knows what i ended up paying per bdft, but it was a damn joke. Shipping it proved to be one of the biggest headaches ive experienced in 2015. It also far exceeded the original purchase price. Long story short, buying lumber at auction for pennies is a great idea if its in your backyard. If you have to ship it, take it from me and pass on the opportunity. I have 1-2k bdft of random hardwoods in my garage right now that im going to end up selling for $0.50-75 a bdft just to get it the heck out of my garage before winter.

I saw an article that said some people are smuggling teak from Burma/Myanmar into Thailand to get around the ban.

That sucks, I hope these 3-4 boards weren't part of the smuggling. It is sad to watch these forests in remote places get decimated over the course of a decade or two of extreme logging. I keep reading that it is only a matter of time before Ipe is banned.

I would guess some kind of mahogany.  Really hard to say which.  Trip may have a better guess.

We have a stack of Burmese teak at my yard right now.  I didn't know about the export ban.  I'll have to ask my homeboy about it to see if he has any insight.  We haven't had it long, maybe a month or two.  Exactly one board has been sold so far.  I find it a fairly meh species to demand such a price.  If you're repairing a boat deck or something, that makes sense...but to be totally on fire about it for some furniture...I wouldn't really understand it unless you just have to brag that you made something out of teak.  But at $28/bf...it won't be me.  I don't find it that amazing to look at.

I saw an article that said some people are smuggling teak from Burma/Myanmar into Thailand to get around the ban. 

Yes it doesn't surprise me. I went to Borneo a few years back and that is part Malaysia and part Indonesia (all in the same area of the world as Burma/Myanmar & Thailand and the deforestation in certain areas of Borneo was alarming. From the roads and rivers you only saw forest. From above in an aircraft you could see a huge border of trees along the roads and rivers that were disguising deforestation in the middle. I know the authorities were trying their best to prevent illegal deforestation but it is a huge country.

Alright, I might have a few lousy guesses for this last one. Looks kinda like Santos Mahogany, Granadillo, or possibly Curupay? Not sure, anybody think I am close with those?

santos may be a good guess.  Especially if the color there is true to life. 

892640cbe62f1bb3254687575dcefdce.jpg Here is a piece off of my stack.

Eric, thanks for the teak pics. I have never actually worked teak right from a planer. Everything I have used is marine salvage and definately weather worn. 

Yes it doesn't surprise me. I went to Borneo a few years back and that is part Malaysia and part Indonesia (all in the same area of the world as Burma/Myanmar & Thailand and the deforestation in certain areas of Borneo was alarming. From the roads and rivers you only saw forest. From above in an aircraft you could see a huge border of trees along the roads and rivers that were disguising deforestation in the middle. I know the authorities were trying their best to prevent illegal deforestation but it is a huge country.

At least they're maintaining a green barrier zone along the rivers to reduce silting-in! 

• 1 month later...

All of this was from the auction that I posted about in the marketplace. For all i know, i left a few exotic boards behind in that lot of hardwood moulding! Still stunned that between here and lumberjocks nobody bought that material. Easily $2000 in quick resale value there, most likely more than that. Alas, you can lead a horse to water, but i think you know the rest. 

Ok, here is my final unkown.

IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

a few more shots. These end grain ones suck. They suck about as much as taking a block plane to exotic end grain. I cant say that was successful or entertaining.

Goncalo alves