New LN Catalog

wouldwurker

The catalog is well made. I usually go through with a couple of different colored markers. One color signifies what I have, and other colors note what I want in a certain order. I have a few things that I want, those are green... Others are red, I need those first.

This makes the holiday shopping easier for people that ask me what I want. And to ensure I don't get doubles.

As for the rifflahs, no. I don't have them, and they are not on my list.  

I just moved to Maine a few weeks ago and I drove the 1 hour and 45 minutes to warren to visit the LN shop. It was really cool, they have all the tools displayed and you can try any of them out. Great staff also. I picked up a tongue and groove #48 , dowel plate and a t- shirt. And a catalog I can't put down. 

• Like 1

==>super disappointed that they discontinued the 103 though

When a tool isn't in the catalog or on the website, doesn't mean that it's totally gone. Usually, LN maintains inventory for quite some time after a tool is 'discontinued'. If you want one, call customer service... Also, many 'discontinued' tools float through 'Tom's Toolbox' on a periodic basis... If you are lucky, you'll get a customer service rep that'll spill the beans on the next time a particular tool will become available -- but you'll get answers like, 'fall', 'next spring', etc. I've purchased several tools that were 'discontinued'...

• Like 1

I spent ten minutes just looking at the opening pages of "Essential Tools."  My first LN tool was a #102 block plane - and it gets used on every project at some point.  I recently bought a tapered carcass saw - haven't used it yet, but I really wanted one so... I got one of the catalogs at work too, but had to move it across the room so I wouldn't spend too much work time drooling through it - LOL.

==>super disappointed that they discontinued the 103 though

When a tool isn't in the catalog or on the website, doesn't mean that it's totally gone. Usually, LN maintains inventory for quite some time after a tool is 'discontinued'. If you want one, call customer service... Also, many 'discontinued' tools float through 'Tom's Toolbox' on a periodic basis... If you are lucky, you'll get a customer service rep that'll spill the beans on the next time a particular tool will become available -- but you'll get answers like, 'fall', 'next spring', etc. I've purchased several tools that were 'discontinued'...

Interesting.  I will try giving them a call.  I went through the usual suspects (Craftsman Studio, Highland woodworking, etc.) to see if they had any leftover inventory, but no dice.  I'll try calling LN directly.

An apron plane is such a classic tool, that even if they don’t have one in stock at the moment, you can bet they will at some point. I suspect it’s used more than every other plane in my shop combined – maybe that’s a bit overstated, but not by much...

LN sometimes ‘discontinues’ product, only to list it again a year or two later... The dynamics of market management and product churn are a bit out of scope, but there’s a business logic behind it... The 103 won’t be any different... And then, there’s always eBay... I bet you can pick one up in very good condition – it may take a month or two, but you’ll get one...

Good luck.

• Like 1

An apron plane is such a classic tool, that even if they don’t have one in stock at the moment, you can bet they will at some point. I suspect it’s used more than every other plane in my shop combined – maybe that’s a bit overstated, but not by much...

LN sometimes ‘discontinues’ product, only to list it again a year or two later... The dynamics of market management and product churn are a bit out of scope, but there’s a business logic behind it... The 103 won’t be any different... And then, there’s always eBay... I bet you can pick one up in very good condition – it may take a month or two, but you’ll get one...

Good luck.

Guess who has 2 thumbs and an LN103 on its way to his house?  :)

So I took Trip's advice, talked to a lovely woman named Elizabeth at LN.  She said the 103 is not technically discontinued, but they have chosen to focus on the 102 "due to its increased versatility."  So they are basically putting marketing behind the 102 but still technically producing 103 if you call them to order one.  They had exactly one in stock, so I grabbed it.  Thanks Trip (and Elizabeth)!

• Like 1

==>focus on the 102 "due to its increased versatility."

Low-angle, Bevel-up, Hybrid and Helical are sexy terms these days... How they translate to improved workflow is left to the student as a homework assignment... :) 

But sexy phrases drive sales, so who are we to complain? If sexy keeps LN in business, I'm all for it...

Honestly, I spend way more time chamfering (103) than trimming end-grain (102)... Like I said, sexy... :)

Glad you got the plane, you'll enjoy it...

Edited by hhh

Yup, I kind of furrowed my brow at "more versatile."  As Eric said to me in chat, sharp high angle does end grain better than sharp low angle does long grain.  Plus I already have the low angle rabbet block plane, so the 103 gives me less overlap.  

BTW:  It just dawned on me why it's called an apron plane.  I had always wondered why, because when I heard apron I thought "table apron."  D'oh!

Edited by bgreenb