What is happening to my wood?

Josiah Brown

So I cut down a mesquite tree several weeks ago and got the wood cut into 1.5 inch boards.  I've been drying them out with 3/4 in stickers in between and I hadn't checked on them until today.  There were small piles of sawdust all over the boards.  The dust seemed to be a different color than the wood but it was in perfect little piles that appeared to be from some kind of bug.  Does anyone have any idea what this is and does it have a potential of ruining my wood?

==>Does anyone have any idea what this is

Yea, the bugs that killed the tree... :)

OK... On a more serious note, obviously it's some sort of infestation and it's still active... First step is to get the lumber out of your house/garage/etc. Sticker it away from the house, shop, lumber rack, etc.  Put some 6mil plastic down first... This will come in handy during the 'killing' phase... See below...

Different bugs can be killed in different ways. Can you take a photo?

Josiah, More than likely it is a white worm about 1/2" long. I've had two experiences with them. I brought some mesquite chunks home from S. Texas to cook with that had some in it. The wood lasted two years and the last piece still had them.

I planted two mesquite trees and one died about 8 years later from the same type worm. Luckily the second one is still thriving.

Here is a picture of the powder.  I couldn't really get a picture of the holes because they were too small.  Is it absolutely necessary to move the wood somewhere else?  I don't have another good place to put it that is dry and it's going to be a pain to move it all.  Could I spray it with some insecticide?  I read somewhere that timbor and boracare might kill them.

IMG_0899.JPG

And yes brendon I should have thought about the title... :) 

That bug actually eats sapwood only. Cut out all sapwood and problem is solved. I've never seen it on anything other than mesquite. Adult beetle is black and gold. The grub is eating your wood. Kiln drying will kill them but they can come back for bark and sap. I don't think your other wood is at risk. Steve

I don't think this particular worm bothers anything but mesquite ( no evidence to that statement), and it doesn't eat that much and adds character holes to your wood. It's a win win for all of you!

I guess another title could be "I have worms in my wood", then we would tell you to seek medical help!

Edited by K COOPER