Is a Longworth chuck necessary?

Josiah Brown

I have tried the cole jaws, then built a longworth chuck. Both worked well (the cole jaws were limited size).

Then I built a vacuum chucking system and haven't used the mechanical jaws since.Vacuum is faster, easier and can hold natural rim bowls with ease. I bought the pump on ebay, made my own coupler and made an assortment of heads from a mixture of PVC and plywood. Total cost of the system was about $200.

If you are interested, the cole jaws are for Nova chucks and the longworth fits on a 1 1/4" spindle. I'd be happy to sell either or both.

I have tried the cole jaws, then built a longworth chuck. Both worked well (the cole jaws were limited size).

Then I built a vacuum chucking system and haven't used the mechanical jaws since.Vacuum is faster, easier and can hold natural rim bowls with ease. I bought the pump on ebay, made my own coupler and made an assortment of heads from a mixture of PVC and plywood. Total cost of the system was about $200.

If you are interested, the cole jaws are for Nova chucks and the longworth fits on a 1 1/4" spindle. I'd be happy to sell either or both.

how much do you sell the longworth for?

i bought some longworth jaws both for turning bottoms and shapes that are not round. for example recently i turned a round cove in the bottom of a rectangular board.  also i turned a bowl in a burl that i left the rough outside shape of the turning. here it is https://featheredwoodworking.wordpress.com/2014/12/13/inlay-ed-walnut-burl-dish/