Sherwin Williams color matching

Pwalter5110

My wife wants me to build a book shelf for my daughters room that matches her preexisting furniture. I went to sherwin williams and asked if they sold color matched dye because I have heard of other people going their for good quality dye. The lady working there said that they don't have dye, but they do color match stain. Is it possible that she was mistaken? I have been to a couple sherwin williams around me, and they all say that they don't sell dye, and can't order it in. Just seems strange to me when I have seen a bunch of other people getting quality dye from there. 

I'm not a SW guy, so can't really help with their system... But there are quite a few WTO members who are, so they can chime in...

But first things first -- it's exceptionally hard (regardless of system) for hobbyists to 'match existing'. You need to level-set your (and more importantly, your wife's) expectations.

Too assist your effort, a little more info would help...

What is the existing furniture made from? Can you provide a photo pr three? -- lighting is important...

What are you making the new piece from?

What is your finishing experience? Have you ever built/finished anything before?

With a little more info, we may be able to assist you...

It's important to leave several large project off-cuts so you evaluate finishes to get the closest match...

The most important point of all... Get your wife to pick the final sample panel -- that way, you get an out... :)

I'm not a SW guy, so can't really help with their system... But there are quite a few WTO members who are, so they can chime in...

But first things first -- it's exceptionally hard (regardless of system) for hobbyists to 'match existing'. You need to level-set your (and more importantly, your wife's) expectations.

Too assist your effort, a little more info would help...

What is the existing furniture made from? Can you provide a photo pr three? -- lighting is important...

What are you making the new piece from?

What is your finishing experience? Have you ever built/finished anything before?

With a little more info, we may be able to assist you...

It's important to leave several large project off-cuts so you evaluate finishes to get the closest match...

The most important point of all... Get your wife to pick the final sample panel -- that way, you get an out... :)

Ive colored matched before, and I never got it close, but close enough for my wife. I know it's going to be a pain and I understand that it isn't going to be perfect, but I have a big compressor and spray guns. Im willing to put in the work. I honestly don't know what the current furniture is made from. It was purchased at Babies R Us lol. It's dyed a reddish brown color. Most brown but you can see a lot of red in it. 

Im thinking about making the bookshelf out of oak plywood and hardwood. Simply because I hear that oak is the easiest wood to dye, and its relatively cheap. But I'm open to suggestion. 

Ill snap a couple pictures when my daughter wakes up from her nap.

Sherwin Williams has at least 4 types of stores:

1) your basic wall paint place.  they might be to mix a stain that approximates your color but i wouldnt expect miracles.  they sell wall paint and that is pretty much it.  

2) "commercial stores".  these places sell mostly wall paint but will have more woodworking finishes.   around here they carry a full line of lacquers (precat, post cat, cab acrylic) but won't tint lacquers.    

3) "product coatings"   these are your true commercial stores and probably have a guywho is  skilled at color matching wood tones.   this would be your best best.  

4) auto paint.   

To put things in perspectives, there is only one  "product coatings" SW store in the entire chicago area (7mln+ population) that I know of.    Their website has a pretty good directory.  

Keep in mind most commercial furniture finishes are a combinations of dyes, stains and toners. 

My last advice is to think big picture.  Make sure to get the sheen correct.   This is easy and makes a huge difference.   Next get the tone correct (i.e. the right amount of red vs green).    if the two pieces will be ten feet away from each other you have a larger margin for error than if they will be 1 foot from each other.   Keep that in mind.  

I'll give them a call on Monday. 

I'm not a SW guy, so can't really help with their system...

Which companies do you use? I just through of sherwin williams because the paint stores are everywhere. But I can't think of any other companies that would be able to help.

No 'brick & mortar' store - sorry...

I source from Mohawk Industrial Coatings... I really don't tint beyond an equalizer for panel glue-ups...

I've got a wide selection of pigments, dyes, glazes, etc... I tint the coatings myself...

I try very hard to avoid the 'match existing' game -- I don't have the experience...

I'll match basic tone and sheen, but that's about it...

Rereading your post I think you are overthinking it a bit:

1) oak takes regular pigment (i.e. box store type) stains well.  Not sure you need to get into custom dyes.

2) custom color matching might not do any better than off the shelf colors.  Just pick two or three stock stains that are close, make a sample, then mix those from there.  Don't judge your sample until you put on the top coat.  Anything oil or solvent based (poly, lacquer, shellac) will add am amber tone to your stain.  Waterbase will not.