San Diego woodworkers?

JosephThomas

I'm sure there are at least a couple people on here from the San Diego area, right?  Any tips on good places to buy hardwood and/or woodworking tools?  

I've been to TH&H, and the big box stores in the area carry some (overpriced) hardwoods.  TH&H seemed pretty ok, but I'm wondering if there are other options, I'm not the most picky and I'm always looking to get cheaper lumber when possible.  Any other tips/pointers relevant to woodworking in this area appreciated!

Both. Prices are good. They also keep a minimum of 2000 bf of most domestics. They will down stack as many pallets as you like and leave you alone so you can sort through the whole lot to find the boards that are right for you. They just ask that you leave the pile as good or better than you found it. I have gone there for 1 board and a half a truck bed worth. They treat you the same either way.

i drive 60 miles in la traffic passing 3 other decent hardwood dealers on the way. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, Joseph - I am not sure what part of the San Diego area you are from, but in the North County in San Marcos there is San Marcos Hardwood (www.sanmarcoslumber.com) and Saroyan Hardwood (www.saroyanhardwoods.com). Both are good and have a reasonable selection. All of the basic domestic hardwoods and plenty of sheet goods. They will also order anything you need. Both will let you dig through the pile and select what you want. Both will give the San Diego Fine Woodworkers Association discount if you are a member. (You are a member, right? www.sdfwa.org - Definitely worth joining).

• Like 1