First time joining w/ #6

collinb

Building Christmas presents this year. Got this nice piece on sycamore. Needed a square edge. But I have no jointer. Table saw not quite good enough. So I got out the #6. Works well. Online articles tend to talk down this size. I found it a good fit on a 4 ft piece d145a68804c6cf1e28769b08b921ec85.jpg Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Trip has made comments that resonate. They center around grabbing what is sharp. The more planes that are ready to go...

There is also a philosophy I bring from another discipline. I use the smallest plane I can get away with. For some things, a five just won't span the width. I might fore or jack with a 6. For short stock I might joint with a 6. There is no wrong necessarily and a full set may be as much for the ego or the symmetry in the wall hanging chest. 

Well...it's great that you broke out a plane to tackle that job...but may I suggest you put a little time in restoring it before your next session?  At the very least get the barnacles off that thing...looks like it's been at the bottom of the ocean for sixty years.

Also, judging from the size of the shavings, you probably need to fiddle with your lateral adjustment.  It appears that you're only getting partial-width shavings...unless I'm being fooled by photographic illusion.

A clean and tuned plane with a sharp blade is a happy plane...and a happy user. :)

• Like 2

Well...it's great that you broke out a plane to tackle that job...but may I suggest you put a little time in restoring it before your next session?  At the very least get the barnacles off that thing...looks like it's been at the bottom of the ocean for sixty years.

Also, judging from the size of the shavings, you probably need to fiddle with your lateral adjustment.  It appears that you're only getting partial-width shavings...unless I'm being fooled by photographic illusion.

A clean and tuned plane with a sharp blade is a happy plane...and a happy user. :)

You are probably right in all of your evaluation. There is a lot to learn about hand planing for which I have not found a single comprehensive reference. If you know of one ... Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I have, and use a #6 just like you are using it. Then again it's my longest plane at the moment! In my opinion, the #6 is an underrated plane.

Very underrated.  It can smooth like a 5 1/2, joint like a 7.  Worth having in your tool kit.  Patrick Leach gave it a bad reputation by his comments in Blood and Gore, one of his few opinions I don't agree with.

• Like 1