H.O. Studley Tool Cabinet

prov163

I just watched the latest Highland Woodworking episode which explores the H.O. Studley tool cabinet and I am completely blown away.  That is a level of craftsmanship that very few people, in any industry, but certainly in woodworking, ever achieve.  And yet, it compels you to try something new, something harder, something just beyond the reach of where you are now.  While I never expect to reach the point of expertise that would allow me to build such an exquisite work of art, the fact that he was able to reach that height inspires me to keep growing in the craft.  One of the most encouraging discoveries Chris and Don make is that the tools are all worn-well from use, but the cabinet is pristine, indicating that Studley made this toward the end of his career - his final signature piece that all these years later instills awe.

Check it out at http://thehighlandwoodworker.com/the-highland-woodworker-episode-20/

• Like 2

Brad, I am lucky enough to have a couple of pieces my grandfather made.  He was in incredible craftsman, but I can imagine he would have stood in front of the Studley tool chest for hours and marveled at the workmanship.  I'm also captivated by the design - not only functional but a huge amount of thought went into the aesthetics of every detail.

Go to Lost Arts Press and buy the book and DVD. I have the book only and it goes into great detail about the cabinet, tools within and his bench. It's full of very close up photographs and a little about what is known about Studley which isn't a massive amount.

A great read.