What are the signs that a bandsaw blade need replaced?

Orbb

I have been trying to resaw some alder and have had tremendous difficulty - probably a feed rate of 1 inch per 8 seconds, with a lot of pushing.   My saw is a 14 inch, 1 HP Grizzly with a 6 inch riser block.  The blade is a Woodslicer from Highland Woodworking, and it does not have too many hours on it. 

After making little progress last night and tripping a breaker at one point, I Googled to see if the saw was too underpowered.  A lot of folks say no, that they are able to resaw with a 1 HP Grizzly.   I also cleaned the blade (it did have some built up dirt on it), but it did not help. 

That makes me think the blade may need to be replaced, although I really haven't used the saw enough to justify it.  Before I plunk down the money for a new blade, how do you tell if it is time for a new one? 

How many TPI  is the blade? For resaw it shouldn't be any more than 5 TPI. The gullets of the blade should ride just "off" the tire on the top wheel when making adjustments. Cool blocks or bearings should also be adjusted just behind the gullets. Try making some adjustments before giving up on the blade. I buy all my blades from Grizzly and can sometimes get as much as 1 year out of a blade before it snaps. (sharpened a few times)

I use to use the 3/4 blade. It's a lot of blade for my Delta 14" BS with a 6" riser block for resawing. You need horse power to run those blades, so I was told. Often times the kerf would close around the blade causing friction. I would have to put a little wedge in the back of the board to keep the kerf open. Also the blade is thicker and more kerf thus wasting more wood.

Try the 1/2 3 tpi blade. Works great on my saw. 

-Ace-  

I'm sure this isn't your problem, but regardless of how dumb it is, I was doing the same thing and at that feed rate. I realigned my saw and did everything I could think of. It turned out my blade was upside down... Just in case, check and make sure the teeth are facing down.  Sometimes those dumb little things can slip past you. 

I'm sure this isn't your problem, but regardless of how dumb it is, I was doing the same thing and at that feed rate. I realigned my saw and did everything I could think of. It turned out my blade was upside down... Just in case, check and make sure the teeth are facing down.  Sometimes those dumb little things can slip past you. 

been there

Reading that made me jump up and run out to the garage to check - they are facing down. 

Actually, if they were facing up, you would have never heard from me again. 

I will be trying the fixes this weekend and will give an update on what transspires.  Thanks for the all advice.

• 3 weeks later...

What are the signs that a bandsaw blade need replaced?

I have been trying to resaw some alder and have had tremendous difficulty - probably a feed rate of 1 inch per 8 seconds, with a lot of pushing.  .....

I think you answered your own question.

Edited by BuilderBill