Oak Curio cabinet

wdwerker

image.thumb.jpeg.964374caae566c5dcd3e2f5Back View.  Entire cap is a separate piece to ease delivery. Open gap is for wiring lights. 1/4 ply top for appearance from the nearby staircase.

A supplier cuts double Celtic knot trim on a CNC. Magnets hold the large doors shut. 23 X 64 1/2 doors with glass are going to be a little heavy.

image.thumb.jpeg.bf652849e1de8e05f015280

Funny, I’m right in the middle of an entertainment center build and will probably (read as will definitely) borrow some of the ideas...

Nice crown molding, is it built-up or did you mill it in one go? I was looking at something similar... Sorry, just saw the back photo and answered my own question... :)

The CNC trim is nice... I’ll probably go with dental molding --- not having a CNC source...

Thanks for the shot of the back, I was planning for the standard rabbet for the panel – I never thought of pocket screws... That’s a nice time saver.

Also, thanks for the source on magnet catches – again, I was going to look around next week...

Looking forward to seeing it with finish...

Edited by hhh

I figured that finishing the interior was going to be tough. So I built the case using dominos and Kreg screws. After a final sanding I am going to take it apart, tape over the domino holes and stain and finish the parts seperately then reassemble.

Kreg screws will pul joints tight and save the finish from clamp marks

This is where I got the  Celtic knot trim. They do much more than trim.

http://www.heartwoodcarving.com/

Yes I can make my own crown but it isn't worth the set up time for one 12' stick. My local hardwood lumberyard sells real thick crown quite reasonable prices too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...