Saw Protective Case

Immortan D

Daniel, that is cool and certainly original. Where did you get the ferrel, nut, hinge, swivel dilly?

That's just an old style brass hose connector. Tomorrow I'm going to build a knob, using the knurled ring of the adapter, which will be used to attach the case to my workbench, and at the same time, will secure the case closed.

890828.thumb.jpg.0ab5c6b6b7e16bff9d0b9a4

Edited by Daniel.
  • Like 2

The knob is essentially an anchor head bolt glued to the ring of a brass hose adapter.

2015-10-05_00.23.01.thumb.jpg.e86cdcb2e9

Materials:

1) Anchor head bolt. I used a 5/16'' bolt,  3'' long. Black bolts look nicer, but I didn't have one of the desired length.

image003.thumb.jpg.69a95e73fa5b081499d4d

2) Two part brass hose adapter (a). Only the ring is used for this project. If you can't find this adapter, you may try with a single piece adapter (b), removing the hose connector with a bandsaw or a hacksaw.

(a)

890828.thumb.jpg.0ab5c6b6b7e16bff9d0b9a4

or (b)

mV2O9MKKrztKxcXhxo3Bd0Q.thumb.jpg.4e658e

3) Two part Epoxy paste or marine epoxy. Epoxy putty may also work, but liquid epoxy I don't think so.

4) Super glue, slow bonding, like Loctite gel.

5) A washer. of the appropriate size.

6) Optionally a nut, to act as a spacer. I used a 3/8 nut.

Steps:

Before starting you should cover the threads of the bolt and the outside of the ring with blue tape, otherwise the epoxy will make a mess (it happened to me...)

1) Place the ring in the vise and glue the bolt from the inside, using super glue. Make the necessary adjustments to make sure it is square and let the glue dry.

IMPORTANT: There is usually a silicon/rubber washer inside the adapter and it has to be removed before the glue up.

2) Mix the epoxy paste and pour it into the ring.

3) Place the washer with little pressure, to even the epoxy and force it into the threads.

4) Wait until it dries and you're done!

2015-10-05_00.25.05.thumb.jpg.570296ecab

With optional spacer:

2015-10-05_00.26.12.thumb.jpg.3eab7dd149

I have yet to do some polishing.

Edited by Daniel.