HOME/SHOP SECURITY

duckkisser

I recently got my home broken into and they cut out my copper pipes and took some of my hand tools.  they took my new grizzly track saw...left the tracks, drills, tv, arbortech mini carving disc, wrenches, my tiny inlay router and a few other odds and ends. if any of you find those there mine and ill buy them back :)  so with this happening i decided that i need to get a security system so i am looking for something that i can use to secure my home and garage.  anyone know of a system that i don't need to pay a monthly fee? I prefer a system that will call my cell phone if someone breaks in. always have my phone with me anyways so i can keep track of my security myself. 

Careful guys.  Some images are flashback inducing. Flash bang inducing? Eh, whatever. My choice have four legs. They do cost a little to feed, but daaang do they look impressive with hackles up and teeth bared. There's the noisy one and the quiet one. Don't get distracted by the noisy one...

• Like 1

I hear small, noisy dogs are better deterrents. Burglers that get bitten by larger dogs have been known to sue the homeowners, and win.

The correct answer is to not let them leave, dead men can't sue. You don't belong in my house and you're posing a threat.

As for protecting your shop, you can get a Nest Cam and hook it to your wifi and if movement is detected, it will alert you through the Nest App on your phone. You can also have it set to record and send to your phone. I think they are about 200 bucks. 

• Like 1

We don't have "household" firearms here in Canada, so we just beat the burglars with whatever is handy.

I don't think my shop pug (who is almost deaf) will be very effective in deterring burglars.

On a serious note though, I have been considering adding some more security to my shop.  I am currently looking at better ways to secure the garage door (the only exterior entry to my shop).

Sorry, call me naive - but this has never happened...or there was more to the story.

Could just do like my colleague's grandpa from up in the mountains of East TN -after hearing reports of a thief roaming the county, he bought a new front door, painted it to match the existing door, had curtains on the glass, matching knob, etc. When my friend saw it in the shed while visiting one day, he asked about it. Grandpa showed him the short-barreled 12 gague pump stashed under his living room recliner, and explained that the new door was to replace the one he planned to blast a basketball-sized hole through, should the #%-$$@& ever step foot on his front porch. After dragging the body INSIDE the living room, of course.

Duck, sorry to hear about your experience. I had something similiar happen 3 years ago. It just happened to be a turd neighbor with a drug problem. He got time but I didn't get my s*#t back. We ended up getting a system that is monitored and cost a few bucks a month.

I go four-legged route as well. My dog is actually on the small side for her breed, only 150 lbs. Sweetest girl in the world, unless someone she doesn't know comes to the door or inside the house. The mail man refuses to come to the house if the inner door is open. Terrified that she will jump through the glass door and attack. Of course, this is useless for my shop area as it's in a detached garage. :(

I have a 85lbs all black German Sheperd named Kimber that will worn you with a loud bark when you are outside, but if you get inside you will not hear her until she is right next to you (which is to late). If she doesn't do the job then the Springfield .40 that I have next to my bed will.

I do like that nest cam idea.

Edited by mrrhode04

The correct answer is to not let them leave, dead men can't sue. You don't belong in my house and you're posing a threat.

As for protecting your shop, you can get a Nest Cam and hook it to your wifi and if movement is detected, it will alert you through the Nest App on your phone. You can also have it set to record and send to your phone. I think they are about 200 bucks. 

but their dependants sue, and then you are paying college tuition for a bunch of derelicts

i have two 12 pound poodles that go crazy making noise and bite the hell out of your ankles if anyone, myself included come in the front door. i am fine coming through the garage.

my 60 pound old lady would lick you to death

our previous 65 pounder would bark at you like crazy and would slam in to the window beside the door scare the hell out of you. if you came inside he would bark from the top of the stairs.

I have a 85lbs all black German Sheperd named Kimber that will worn you with a loud bark when you are outside, but if you get inside you will not hear her until she is right next to you (which is to late). If she doesn't do the job then the Springfield .40 that I have next to my bed will.

I do like that nest cam idea.

A Kimber at your door and a Springfield by your bed, great combo!