Layout

Fxguy

Is there any software out there (or a method you use) to layout pieces for cutting? For example, I'm particularly interested in any software or a way to change a layout based on board size. I have a project I'd like to start working on for my son (the Toy Bulldozer from Wood Magazine Sept 2010) and it shows the pieces laid out for cutting on a piece of 3/4" X 5 1.2" X 60" Walnut (2.5 BD ft). However, the piece of Walnut I have is 4/4 Walnut at 7 3/4" X 36" (3.9 BDFT) and I'd like to figure out if I can get the pieces out of it or will I need to purchase additional wood. It'd be really nice if there was a piece of software out there that could take a cutting diagram and display alternatives based on the size of lumber you have laying around. 

I'm I just stuck with penciling it out in scale to see if I can get the pieces to fit and the best way to do so? 

Thanks guys! 

Even if there is software out there that does that, and there probably is...it doesn't account for the natural variability in lumber.  So it may lay your parts out perfectly in regard to minimizing waste...but too bad it decided to land your most visible piece in a place with a huge knot, or gave you two parts for a panel that have horribly conflicting grain or color.

Not to be negative about it...I know some people enjoy using technology...but I can't imagine there's a better or faster way than a tape measure, a square, and a carpenter's pencil.  One of my favorite steps of every project is laying out and agonizing over parts.  This part of the process has a HUGE impact on the appearance of the final product...and I'm certain a computer cannot do it as well as a human.

Obviously then I'm still quite the newbie because I don't exactly see the difference. 31c06d93322351365ea4a0189928ee3b.jpg Aside from the blade, cab and radiator I don't see the layout making a difference one way or the other. Here is the piece I have: 20216f25eda73c4dc1d5641bbb8c668d.jpgc339b8c9d4d1ca28b2b27aafc33cded8.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are two concepts at play here and some workarounds that might help. Eric nailed one, no more on that. Scale variation in printing can help if you have the ability to print parts 1:1. You can scale the print 2:1 etc and lay cutouts on your pieces within reason. This might work for a piece the size of a toy dozer. 

Correct.  Scale the cells up or down however you like.  I treat mine as 1" for small projects and 3" for large.   Using the right click> format cells tool, outline the appropriate board size.  Now lay out your parts on the "board" with bold lines.  Keep in mind this won't take blade loss of wood into account.  It's just a down and dirty layout option when you none care to lay it out for the grain. I usually use this for sheets of ply that have a lot of party's coming from one sheet.

Fx guy, several of us here have made these toys and the layout ON paper looks good but keep in mind that they're showing different thicknesses of pieces coming from the same board. That's hard to do unless you hand plane the thinner pieces, as they're too short to run through the planer or try and resaw them on the bandsaw. I found that I had to buy extra material for the thinner pieces and laying them out on a board that I had run through the planer at the desired thickness.