Rosewood ID

Dknapp34

Can anyone help me identify what type of rosewood this is?  

I bought this as an 8' x 4' sheet of plywood.  I got it from a retiring cabinet maker who was selling the contents of his shop on craigslist.  I had bought some tools from him and then went back a couple weeks later to see if there was anything else left that I wanted to buy when I saw it sitting in a corner.  I believe my exact words to him when I saw it were "holy crap is that rosewood plywood?"  He said that it was and that he got the veneer in the 1960s.  Apparently someone else had been ready to buy it, but mentioned that he was going to paint it, and the cabinet maker told him that it was no longer for sale.  Having already blown my budget on a jointer and some other tools from his shop, I figured it would be too expensive for me to buy, but he said that, as long as I promised not to paint it, he would give it to me for $20!  Obviously, I couldn't pass that up, so I bought it.  Like an idiot, however, I forgot to ask what type of rosewood it is.  It could be Brazilian, based on the fact that he got it before the ban, but I've never worked with any kind of rosewood before, so I'm not really sure how to tell the difference between the various types.  I applied some mineral spirits before I took the pictures.  The edge banding is wenge.  

IMG_0604.thumb.JPG.223d00182aa0aebb37de3IMG_0603_(1).thumb.JPG.9fb0add723ef84b3cIMG_0605.thumb.JPG.dfa1fbc3dedc764d7dba7

• Like 1

No need to edit that first part K, you make a good point, why question a good thing.  I'm just curious to know.  Also, I don't have any plans to sell it, but I believe since 2014 it's been illegal to sell Brazilian rosewood, even if it was imported pre-ban, unless you have paperwork proving it was pre-ban (but I could be wrong about that).  

It's tough to see in the pics, but I'm making an entertainment center.  I'll post something when it's all finished.  I've got the case finished and right now I'm working on installing some SOSS hinges for the doors.  I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do for the base, and whether to make pulls for the doors, or use touch latches so there is no hardware.  

Edited by Dknapp34
  • Like 1

Thin enough that I let it sit in my basement for many months before I made any cuts because I was afraid of tear out ruining it.  I'll see if I can get a good measurement when I get home from work tonight.  The veneer is laminated on a thin layer of solid wood, which is then laminated on a thicker solid wood inner core.  

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, phinds said:

@Dknapp34 I realize this is a very old post, but I ran across it by accident and since I see you're still on the forum I thought I should tell you that this is pretty much a sure thing to be Brazilian rosewood.

Thanks, Paul. Now hopefully no one will report me to the authorities...I would hate to have my TV stand repossessed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Are those brush marks in the finish? Just wondering how it came out. Incredible bargain you got !

No brush marks, I hadn't applied any finish at that point. Just a weird lighting thing I think. Either that or the mineral spirits I put on before the pic were partially flashing off and it left some weird streaks. Here's the finished product: