Needs tuning or exchange?

Mpride1911

I just got this pair of Stanley Sweethearts today.  The low angle block plane seems to work great, but the low angle jack plane digs heavily on the right.  I couldn't adjust that out of the blade at all, and after looking up close at the bottom, I see that the it is severely canted to one side.   This is my first quality plane and I know that there's tuning involved, but this seems outside the limits of acceptable to me.  Any thoughts? not sure how visible it is in the photo.

20151006_182132.jpg

This represents the challenge area of BU planes of all types - that is, achieving a square bed. It is really not that unusual for them to be a little out of line. Having said that, it is not your responsibility to sort out the manufacturers issue. Send it back (unless you believe you are capable of doing a perfect job).

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 2

I recall on Schwarz's blog he commented on getting a defective jack plane from Stanley for review.  He got it replaced with a better one as I recall, but I'm sure there are plenty of the defective ones floating around.  You could contact Stanley customer service if it seems that all of your vendor's stock is the defective stuff.