Avoid - Rockler Turners Tape (double stick)

wouldwurker

19.99 and AVOID.

There's no specific brand name on it, but the SKU says 'Turners Tape'.

It's not the usual paper backing; rather a very thin vinyl.  As a result, you can't peel the backing off..it just stretches and pulls up the tape with it.

It's the same very strong tape otherwise.

If I spent 10 minutes template routing, I spent 30 minutes trying to peel the backing off the tape.

I love the turner's tape from Rockler.  I don't know if they've changed it recently so we could be talking about two different types.  The stuff I get is a little thicker than the regular double-sided carpet tape, a little squishy and SUPER sticky.  It is a total nightmare to get the backing off, which is why you do this:

Always leave a tag of the backing on the roll longer than the tape.  Peel off a section of the tape at the length you desire, and cut ONLY the tape...leaving the backing on the roll.  When you're done using the tape, cut the backing down to about an inch longer than the tape.  You never have to fight with it that way.

I can't remember if mine is from Rockler or Woodcraft, but it's vinyl as well. Is it a PITA to get off the tape? A bit, but it works so well once you're using it, which counts more for me. I'm going to try scoring the tape next time.

Anything and everything is better than the carpet tape I started out using. I burned the project I used it on, and the only thing that survived the fire was the tape and what it was attached to.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the turner's tape from Rockler.  I don't know if they've changed it recently so we could be talking about two different types.  The stuff I get is a little thicker than the regular double-sided carpet tape, a little squishy and SUPER sticky.  It is a total nightmare to get the backing off, which is why you do this:

Always leave a tag of the backing on the roll longer than the tape.  Peel off a section of the tape at the length you desire, and cut ONLY the tape...leaving the backing on the roll.  When you're done using the tape, cut the backing down to about an inch longer than the tape.  You never have to fight with it that way.

The only issue I see with this is that it makes it more difficult to stick it to one side of a project first as you either still have the roll of tape on it or it is sticky on both sides.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just adding additional info.  Rockler has the same item number for variously sourced tape.  I have gotten the very thin and stable stuff and gotten (and returned) the almost carpet-tape-like junk of which the OP speaks.  No one wants to use gummy-bears to hold their templates for template routing or turning.

If you are not able to walk into a store and see what you are getting this can be very frustrating and wasteful of time for both parties.  If you do not get what you expect and return it, do a good turn and let the sourcing entity know WHY you are returning it so that they can hopefully make better choices when sourcing their items ;-)