Buying a band saw for Craftsman

ericjohnson

Agree on staying away from the bench top models.  Also, if budget is an issue, consider buying a used band saw.  Band saws are one of the simpler power tools, in that there aren't that many parts, so there isn't much that can go wrong with them.  If you picked up something off of craigslist and it had a problem, you could probably fix it relatively easily.  I got an 18" Grizzly band saw from craigslist for a few hundred dollars.  It's not a top of the line model by any stretch, but it does everything I need it to do.  There are also lots of upgrades that can take a decent band saw and make it a great band saw.

• Like 1

The cheapest way to make a curved cut is a jigsaw. Has your woodworking grown to a point where you need a bandsaw or can you still make do with a jigsaw? If a jigsaw will do then absolutely go that route. If you are into a point where a jigsaw is no longer acceptable then brand new its hard to beat a grizzly bandsaw for bang for buck. For more specific recommendations we would need to know more specifics on the projects you have in mind and the budget you have set aside. 

• Like 1

Your needs might be met with a benchtop saw, but regardless if the size you choose, look for one that has a sturdy frame, a solid table of cast iron, if possible, and a good mechanism for adjusting table tilt. The cheaper saws tend to have frames that flex when the saw is under tension, and lightweight tables that vibrate and are difficult to lock at the desired cut angle. And almost all of the saws in the hobby grade market are underpowered (in my opinion).

• Like 1