Cabinet wood selection

xxdabroxx

Good afternoon all,

I have a design question for you all today.  I've come to the conclusion that I need to build my own vanity cabinet for my bathroom, I just cant bring myself to pay almost $700 for a particle board cabinet from the home store.  So I'm thinking of building my own shaker style cabinet if I can't find a local cabinet shop that would do it on the cheap (unlikely). 

Bathroom Colors:  Shower walls are a greyish wood look tile, shower floor is greyish natural stone, and the bathroom floor is a linen texture grey tile.  All will have the same steel grout color (medium grey).  I'm anticipating painting the walls a linen/ canvas color, and all the fixtures are dark bronze/ black.  Countertop color is not set yet, I've even toyed with the idea of a wood countertop.  I have a white vessel sink to go atop of whatever I decide. 

So my choices in locally available plywood are limited to birch or maple.  I'm torn between cheaping out and doing a paint grade cabinet or going with some kind of hardwood, most likely ordered from Bell.  http://www.bellforestproducts.com/project-packs/board-feet-20/#.VhcCHCsjafE 

I'm thinking of going with one of their 20bf pack, haven't done a sketchup model so I'm just ballpark guessing here.  I figure any panels would be ply with hardwood frame. 

Not being real familiar with the woods, what would you guys recommend, there is no significant other to please so I have no worries there.  I'm torn between a plain maple, or something figured be it flame birch, curly or birdseye maple.  I don't want it to be too over the top, but at the same time I wouldn't mind using the cabinet to bring a little bit of life to the room. 

These are the tile samples on the tile shops floor.  12064351_971683162869712_1801336688_n.th

I might just go paint grade to simplify they process and save the fancy wood for something else.  The steam does seem like it could be a pain.  Bathroom is 6'x11' shower is 3x6 at the end.  Something like the attached pdf, although I've gone to a vessel sink since so I can have a couple drawers under the sink. 

FP_LAYOUT Layout1 (2) (1).pdf

Free tip, Ctrl+Shift+minus or plus rotates a pdf on screen. 

Edited by xxdabroxx