To pull or not to pull

Dknapp34

Having a bit of a design dilemma.  I'm mid-way through building this entertainment center and, as I'm terrible at designing in advance, I still haven't decided what to do for the door hardware.  Eventually, the center compartment will have a door like the two outer compartments.  My thought was to use a push latch for the center door, so there would be no hardware showing (I could use a pull for the center door, but it would have to be on one side or the other, which would ruin the symmetry).  As for the two outer doors, however, I'm conflicted.  If I did push latches for those as well, it would leave the grain of the doors unobstructed, which might be nice, because there is a pretty interesting grain pattern.  On the other hand, I think making some pulls for the outer doors could add visual interest and break up the flatness of the piece.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.  

IMG_0665.thumb.JPG.009ceadea9974373308bd

Sounds like the pulls have it.  I'm thinking something in wenge to match the solid wood edge banding, with the quarter sawn side out so the grain isn't too distracting.  It's too bad Eric doesn't take commissions...I really like the pulls he made for his "pair o' nightstands."  

• 1 month later...

Update:  After agonizing over designs for weeks, I turned some wenge pulls that I thought were subtle, understated and complimented the piece well.  So I show them to my wife and she says, "those look. . . umm . . . clunky," and that she doesn't want pulls at all. 

you went about it all wrong, you should have planted the seed and made it her idea..

• Like 2

you went about it all wrong, you should have planted the seed and made it her idea..

I had a boss like that, no matter what I said, it was wrong. I finally figured it out and would say something stupid so that he would come up with the idea that I had all along and we all were happy!

Rog

P.S. If a man in a Forrest says something and there is no woman around to hear him, is he wrong anyway?

Edited by Rapid Roger

Doesn't work.  She's a lawyer, so she's skeptical of everything I say.  Can't say I blame her.

P.S. If a man in a Forrest says something and there is no woman around to hear him, is he wrong anyway?

Yes.