jointer basics/recommendations

collinb

So I was in the local ReStore and for $149 they had this basic Delta 6" variable speed jointer.

I passed on it but not so much because of the price.  I noticed that the back fence is quite flexible.  The mount is not really solid so the whole back flexes.  That would seem to make it difficult to square up the narrow edge of a board.

So I wonder ... what is most basic but decent-enough quality modern jointer out there?  (I'm leaving out antiques and such b/c I'm never certain of their practicality in terms of maintenance and adjustments.)  It looks like I'll need one come Spring.

There are always a bunch of older delta clones for sale around me. Mine is from the late 80's I believe so not quite antique but it has some time on it. The beds are flat,  the motor is solid and the whole unit is HEAVY. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.  Especially for the price. 

In the new market, this is probably the most basic decent quality machine.   In fact, doesn't matter if you are looking at a tablesaw, bandsaw, jointer, planer, etc.... just look for the cheapest grizzly and you will find the "most basic decent quality machine."  That might as well be their tag line "basic decent quality machines since 1983."  

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-46-Jointer/G0654

The grizzly looks quite nice.

Am curious if anyone here uses a bench-top and which model?

The Delta I saw as too plasticy for my tastes. I'll want something more than pure "hobby" grade though I admit the top pro models are out of my range.

Looked at this one online.  Delta 37-071  The fence support seems solid enough, unlike the smaller model or the (very similar) Cutech 40160H-CT I just read about.

I'll probably keep asking questions until Spring when I find a good one at an auction.  Then if the price is right and the quality good the branding won't matter. :-)

Both tom and I owned the same "benchtop" jointer about exactly like the grizzly model.  We have both since ditched it.  I can't speak for him but I really did hate that thing.  It's too short to reliably jointing anything over 24". They are loud as a jet engine and give reliably poor cut quality. 

I too have used a bench top jointer in the past, and I really must say that they are pretty much worthless.  If you have the time and space, I would recommend waiting and getting a floor standing 6" model.  You can find decent deals on them on c-list.  

I too have used a bench top jointer in the past, and I really must say that they are pretty much worthless.  If you have the time and space, I would recommend waiting and getting a floor standing 6" model.  You can find decent deals on them on c-list.  

routerforums has turned into a shill site, imnsho.  They have a "review" of a bench jointer.  When I inquired about the weakness of the fence the response was that it is not really a big deal.  Even I know that is nonsense.  It *might* be useful as an upside-down planer but is worthless for squaring the short side.

I'm seeing clist valued here and there.  This caught my eye.  Just hasn't caught my wallet yet.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/tls/5240290668.html

routerforums has turned into a shill site, imnsho.  They have a "review" of a bench jointer.  When I inquired about the weakness of the fence the response was that it is not really a big deal.  Even I know that is nonsense.  It *might* be useful as an upside-down planer but is worthless for squaring the short side.

I'm seeing clist valued here and there.  This caught my eye.  Just hasn't caught my wallet yet.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/tls/5240290668.html

That would be a much better option.  In my opinion, it would be worth the wait to save a few more bucks and get something like that.  You would be better off buying once.