Grain direction for drawer bottoms

rodger.

been doing some reading on this, and I tend to do whatever looks best.  It looks like the standard is for solid wood to go side to side, and for ply to go front to back.  I don't use solid wood drawer bottoms often, but clearly grain direction is important, and the rule makes sense.

With plywood, do you guys follow this "rule of thumb" for bottoms?  Since grain direction isn't crucial for expansion, it allows more creativity.

Edited by Pug

Over time, practice changed -- you may term it 'evolved'... So practice depends on what you want to build and if you want to emulate the practice of a particular period...

The short answer --- run the grain side-to-side...

The long answer would be more involved, you can PM me...

I always go side to side unless the drawer is deeper than it is wide...which doesn't happen very often, like almost never.  I use hardwood bottoms on any "real" furniture, plywood on utilitarian projects...if I have appropriate ply on hand.  I don't keep much ply around because I have nowhere to store it so I tend to use hardwood more often.  And there's no debate...hardwood bottoms are the classy way to go on high-end pieces.

It depends.  Most of the time I'll just do raised panel with an open back and slotted screw.  I like heavier bottoms.  If I'm doing small drawers then yeah I'll resaw down to thinner boards.

I understand the raised panel but explain the open back and slotted screws, please.

==>resaw the bottoms to get them that thin?

Unless you’re quite lucky, you’ll have long-term stability issues – if it doesn’t potato chip on you off the saw. For long-term durability, you want slightly thicker stock rabbeted/tapered for the slot...

==>hardwood bottoms

Any reason you don’t use a secondary?

==>I do mine similar to this...

With a bottom that thin?

A secondary wood species?  Sure, sometimes.  Again, depends on the importance of the project and what I have on hand.

My bottoms are usually thicker than the one pictured.  Usually I'll mill the bottom boards at the same time I mill the drawer sides and they'll all be the same thickness.  Then, rabbet into a raised panel and install as shown...often with just one screw.

This isn't how you do yours?  I would have pegged you as a hardwood bottom kind of guy.

==>My bottoms are usually thicker than the one pictured.  Usually I'll mill the bottom boards at the same time I mill the drawer sides and they'll all be the same thickness.  Then, rabbet into a raised panel and install as shown...often with just one screw.

+1, but substitute cut nail for screw.

==>hardwood bottom kind of guy.

Secondary for sides, back and bottom. More traditional...

Edited by hhh

I usually run grain direction side to side within drawers. On ply it doesn't matter but for aesthetic purposes only it's also side to side for me

On solid wood panels if you run it front to back you risk blowing out the sides due to seasonal expansion (especially when using thicker drawer bottoms - think 1/2" thick with 1/4" rabbets) or at least making the drawer stiff to open when the wood expands. If the drawer bottom is thin it can split or buckle when it expands.

When people pile their stuff in to a drawer quite frankly it doesn't matter to them as they never see it.

==>hardwood bottom kind of guy.

Secondary for sides, back and bottom. More traditional...

Yeah I get secondary...I just meant solid wood over plywood.

I've never been much of a fan of the secondary woods for drawers simply because I've always had a rabid disdain for poplar...so I've mostly used hard maple just because I could.  I'm not in business and I have it laying around...why not.  I know it's not traditional but I'm not really a bandwagon kind of guy. :D

Although I must say, since devouring the Doucette and Wolfe videos, I'm ready and willing to use secondary wood if and when I build a traditional piece.  He's thoroughly convinced me there's not a damn thing wrong with it.

==>rabid disdain for poplar

I don't use Poplar as a secondary -- unless the piece is going to be painted (and that's another story)... Some of the secondaries are remarkably stable. I tend to use EWP for the bottoms, Aspen for the sides on smaller drawers or Soft Maple on larger drawers. Besides, dovetailing a stack of drawers in Hard Maple is just a bitch.

Edited by hhh
  • Like 2