Should I add some warmer colors to my shop walls?

estesbubba

When I was finishing my shop a year ago, by the time I got to painting I was ready to just be done. Ten high output 5000K T8 fixtures along with the satin white make it nice and bright. I like the light but sometimes wonder if I should add some warmer colors to the walls? I love the look of the wood on @Janello's shop but that just isn't going to happen. Today I took of piece of the main outside steel to a local paint design center and the lady was very helpful. She gave us some swatches and my wife and I both liked the grey's that had the building color mixed in. The lady said the building actually has some green in it and the grey's have some earthy colors in them. 

First here are some pictures of the shop walls. I'm getting more and more on them so they don't look as sterile as they were a year ago. What do you guys think of the all white walls? 

JtQyyKPoUBBj6YIALUsP8lGsQ4hCOMxTGm8F4ioY

uQt0xPTxu3RlEgX5P3IdJHqlTcNaNTiiGb7Ly7so

S-kTwVH_OcVcVSs06cd9K1xZ5PPGbybmHxBEC7PS

ZFSLv0yLJNqknNszopIopqmGoxIPz-KWbEhQNuD8

Here are some pics of the samples on the walls. The lighter color would be painted from the floor up to 32-36". The darker color would be used around the windows and door. How do you think that would look? Do you think it would make it much darker in there? 

arpbmsvz3Z6lJwEzpxClkp9obI5KAwUM-uymvQLt

JCS4dlcbEPSTxwBhEhdpDT_omdDOmxkkRb3YAPbs

vxjyUpzyjiM8hlbzAojUmTDOhx9TDtfAq8SuQzNc

Now I hate painting but since I'm on light duty (15 lbs or less) until November 1st thinking of doing it. Maybe it's just some crazy thinking because of boredom and wanting to do something in the shop. Anyway looking for opinions if you like the all white, think my idea is good, or have better suggestions. 

I you have problems viewing the photos here is a link:

https://goo.gl/photos/KWQNsDt3Gxcy61hy8

I mean the metallic structure behind that board, attached to the wall and ceiling.

The overhead door?

I think that is a good plan Mike. It will make your already ridiculously awesome shop even awesomer. Will you put a chair rail molding to divide the two colours? Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Yes I'll do something especially since I won't get clean lines with tape over OSB.

Leave it white. It'll soon go light brown with sawdust.

This is the easiest solution especially since I have to paint. The white really doesn't bother me and gives good lighting but is a little boring. If I do anything now it might be just do the windows with the lighter grey. 

• Like 1

Your shop looks great but I agree all white can get a little boring. I like the idea of painting one wall. Otherwise I believe your colors may be too dark. Since you like them go ahead and try it. You will know as soon as one wall is painted. Good luck and post some pictures when you get the paint on the wall.

I'm just finishing up my shop build.... went with a really light gray on the walls and I like it so far. Kinda breaks up all the white so it doesn't feel like a hospital or something. Personally I say go with some color... but your shop looks awesome already so you can't really go wrong.

wood rack small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

When I'm ready for paint, I'll run down to the local hd, they have a  huge rack of paints that were returned. I think they sell them for $5/ gallon for the premium paint.  I'm not picky on color.  I'll find something light and go use it.

Edited by Brendon_t

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...