Bunch O' Boxes, part drei

wtnhighlander

How in the world are you keeping up with all of these? I can't brush my teeth and look in the mirror at the same time!

Ha! Cleaning all the other crap off my workbench helped a lot. This morning, I routed a roundover on all the cutting boards, but no pics, because you really can't see much difference. That took all of 5 minutes, and spent the rest of my precious half-hour setting up a dado stack in my tablesaw. More on that soon.

So, a little more progress today. I used a dado stack to form rabbets on the vertical corners of the poplar box. Hete it is as I prepare to add some aluminum trim: dc3fac7fb073aafe5e128924677c7ab6.jpg My dado stack is pretty cheesy, so I switched to a flat-top ripping blade to cut rabbets & grooves on the pine boxes. Various shapes of wood trim will be added later. Here, I used the rip blade, just kissing a sacrificial fence, to make a 1/8" x 1/2" rabbet. 88b4d8e5dacef500097f91a3fcdde041.jpg The boxes look like this now. 7ff655c04f2a4b512a0f4b9a4ef55a90.jpg678c32e5f5be99e7852a53af2848ee06.jpg I hope to get a bit more done tomorrow.

• Like 1

Ross, you going for a contemporary look with the aluminum?

We'll see. I'm pretty much making this up as I go along! I initially planned to do all the edges with aluminum, but figured I would make a mess of the three-way miter at the corners. Butting the verticals straight into the horizontals didn't look good in my imagination, so a wooden trim of some type will go on the horizontals. I haven't decided how far down to split away the top, either. Or on what kind of hinges to use.

SIDEBAR:

Feeling a distinct slump in box-building motivation, I put my 'apprentice' to work sanding the cutting boards, while I turned my attention to another small project I have been procrastinating on:

A knife-making friend gave me a scrap of brass that was thick enough to drill and tap. I am carving it into a (very) simple branding iron.

71e4d5ad31379041419b8781773dcba1.jpg

Not shown in the photo, it is tapped to 1/4" - 20 on the back, and a 5" hex bolt is threaded in and fixed with a jam nut.  I plan to cut the head off the bolt, and turn a handle for the iron later. 

This is sloooow work with a scribe and some files....

SIDEBAR:

Feeling a distinct slump in box-building motivation, I put my 'apprentice' to work sanding the cutting boards, while I turned my attention to another small project I have been procrastinating on:

A knife-making friend gave me a scrap of brass that was thick enough to drill and tap. I am carving it into a (very) simple branding iron.

71e4d5ad31379041419b8781773dcba1.jpg

Not shown in the photo, it is tapped to 1/4" - 20 on the back, and a 5" hex bolt is threaded in and fixed with a jam nut.  I plan to cut the head off the bolt, and turn a handle for the iron later. 

This is sloooow work with a scribe and some files....

Man of many talents!! What does the M stand for? Or is it a W? Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Well, that worked ... ec1e15ca5f9cf8607124bd84457ecdaf.jpg Ken, I used a carbide-tipped machinist's scribe to mark the outline, then a couple of files and a dremel diamond engraving bit. I have a little more than an hour of labor into it so far. I'd like to deepen the relief a bit more to get a cleaner edge on the burn. And I still need to make a handle. A CNC machine would certainly be better for a more intricate design.

• Like 1