Great friends and a load of walnut

mds2

I am blessed to have a couple great friends.  This is the second time I have been given a load of walnut. The same friend helped me cut, load, haul, and unload all of it.  My other friend with a sawmill had it cut and ready to go in a couple hours.  My awesome wife helped me move, paint, sticker, and stack all of it behind the house.  I am very thankful for all of these people.

Anyway here is the load of walnut that I got for pennies per bf.  300ish board feet total all cut into 8/4.

Lmt20ihl.jpg

2tyacFhl.jpg

• Like 1

Nope. I take it to my man Steve and he works his magic.  He literally said to me yesterday  "I cant stand it when people try to tell me how to cut up a log".  He's a 65+ year old Vietnam vet that is as tough as a bucket of 16 penny nails.  I let him be.

Did you go through the trouble of milling it quartersawn?  Just curious how members here are consciously cutting their meat and potatoes.

Few, if any, of those logs are big enough to quarter saw.  The largest one too me looks 10-12" in diameter.  when you quarter saw your max width is the radius of the log, minus a few inches for the pith.  So maybe you could get 4" wide boards if you quartered those logs.  

Few, if any, of those logs are big enough to quarter saw.  The largest one too me looks 10-12" in diameter.  when you quarter saw your max width is the radius of the log, minus a few inches for the pith.  So maybe you could get 4" wide boards if you quartered those logs.  

I was just going to post this same thing. These logs are way too small for quartersawing. Plus with walnut you can have a lot of sapwood waste on top.   I had to go measure for curiosities sake and the widest looks to be 12"

He did just finish cutting up a gigantic pin oak that he had to quarter with his chainsaw just to fit on the mill.   I had never seen quarter sawn pin oak, or pin oak boards at all, before yesterday and it is beautiful stuff.  

I'm not far from you in Springfield. It's nice to have great connections especially when it's nice walnut! I can see a lot of nice table legs out of those short boards.

I think quarter sawing walnut takes away from it's character. Now quarter/rift sawing white and red oak makes it a lot more desirable in my opinion. 

Chunk of qs pin oak he gave me:

http://www.imgur.com/gallery/zV5X6cX

walnut right in the money:

http://www.imgur.com/gallery/W5SZCQU

I'm not far from you in Springfield. It's nice to have great connections especially when it's nice walnut! I can see a lot of nice table legs out of those short boards.

I think quarter sawing walnut takes away from it's character. Now quarter/rift sawing white and red oak makes it a lot more desirable in my opinion. 

howdy neighbor! I just got a golden that looks like your red one! 

Are those trunk sections from small trees or branch sections from large trees?  I hope the former, otherwise you may find your boards won't stay flat no matter what you do.  Too much tension in branches to build furniture with...reaction wood.  Branches would be great for turning though.

Are those trunk sections from small trees or branch sections from large trees?  I hope the former, otherwise you may find your boards won't stay flat no matter what you do.  Too much tension in branches to build furniture with...reaction wood.  Branches would be great for turning though.

They are large branches from large trees.  Weird, the ones I cut and dried 18 months ago from the same trees stayed flat. And, at least so far, no problems with furniture.  Really good curl in a lot of it.  

nice haul.. how did you build you kiln?

Its pretty simple really. I made a frame out of 2x4's and stacked the lumber inside. Then I wrapped the frame with plastic and sealed the whole thing with house wrap tape.  Inside the kiln is a dehydrator and a fan to keep the air circulating.  The dehydrator has a drain tube that I run out into the yard. 

https://instagram.com/p/rVeQjUlSD7

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/20/2015 at 4:17 PM, Mike. said:

I have a hobby mill, love to cut into a log just to see whats inside. I'm wondering the benefits of QS walnut is. QS oak will give you awesome grain figure, rays, that  you would you would find some of in the same log sawn thru and thru.I never see this cutting walnut.

52 minutes ago, Sawmillgeo said:

I have a hobby mill, love to cut into a log just to see whats inside. I'm wondering the benefits of QS walnut is. QS oak will give you awesome grain figure, rays, that  you would you would find some of in the same log sawn thru and thru.I never see this cutting walnut.

The biggest reason I would grab QS walnut would be the grain. All the QS walnut I have ever seen has nice long, straight grain and color lines rather than the swirly grain.