B E A S T bandsaw in the house

andrew-in-austin

That is an awesome machine.  Great find and you did a great job of transporting it.  Does your saw have 10 HP motor?  

I bought the 20" version of the same saw with 5 HP motor.  These Northfield machines are just amazing.  By the way, the Northfield company is great at supporting their products, regardless of age of the product.  I just wish I could afford one of their planers.

Thanks, all.  I found this on ebay!  That's why I was so surprised nobody else bid on it.  I figured there had to be somebody else looking for a machine like this.  Matt, it has 2-inch wide wheels, so I guess it will take a blade a little smaller than that.  I will probably get a Lenox Woodmaster CT in 1 to 1.25 inch width.  The saw came with 4 other blades, but I don't think any of them are particularly sharp, so I will probably also get a smaller width blade for doing small curves.  Wnaziri, I have been following your progress on your saw and the tires.  I also wish I could get one of their planers.  The motor is also 5HP in this saw and is direct drive.  It is easily the largest 5HP motor I have ever seen.  If I had to guess, that motor is probably over 300 pounds.  

I am more and more convinced lately that finding these old machines is the way to go, as long as you have the patience to wait until a deal comes along, and you are willing to deal with 3 phase electricity. I have my eye out for an old industrial planer, almost got a 1914 Oliver 9-foot long one, but owner backed out of the deal at the last minute :(  Just need to be patient and find the next deal.

Yes, it turns 1000 RPM at 50Hz, which translates in to about 11300 feet per minute for the blade when on 60Hz power.  That's really moving.  Luckily I can control the motor speed with the VFD.  Right now I run it at 30-40Hz and is uses just over 9 Amps per phase when running.  I plan on trying out an external resistor with the VFD, which should allow the VFD decelerate the motor when I hit the stop button.  The saw also has a foot brake, but it still takes a while to slow it down.