Veritas Low Angle Smoother

Tom Cancelleri

So I'm an idiot. When I bought my smoother I thought I had added the bevel up smoother to my cart, and wound up with the low angle smoother. I've used it a handful of times. The blade is razor sharp, and the plane is in like new condition. I will add pictures later when I get home.  I've honed it on my Shapton pro stones, and added a microbevel using my MKII honing guide. The blade is PM-V11 and sharpened to 25°

Asking $200 Shipped to CONUS

I thought I had added the bevel up smoother to my cart, and wound up with the low angle smoother.

I've been basically delirious for the last six days, so it's probably just me...but I find this statement confusing.  You mean bevel down?  Or do I need more Theraflu?

Weird.  Yeah, they're both bevel up and both low angle.  One just comes with a higher angle blade...but it's still a low angle plane.  It seems like they're trying to market one of them as a smoother and the other as a shooter...which seems silly to me.

• Like 1

I've been basically delirious for the last six days, so it's probably just me...but I find this statement confusing.  You mean bevel down?  Or do I need more Theraflu?

I was also confused as to why they would sell so many different versions of such a similar plane, so it's not just you. At least, this time. :)

• Like 1

Weird.  Yeah, they're both bevel up and both low angle.  One just comes with a higher angle blade...but it's still a low angle plane.  It seems like they're trying to market one of them as a smoother and the other as a shooter...which seems silly to me.

Especially since they make an awesome shooting plane http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/Page.aspx?p=70926&cat=1,230,41182,48945

They even have another new shooting plane!  http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=73208&cat=51&ap=2

The BU line doesn't have machined sides, but it costs more than the low angle model... somebody with a marketing degree knows why they all exist, but not me.

You know... I think there used to be a BU jack and low angle jack and now I only see the latter, so perhaps they are phasing some out.

I was also confused as to why they would sell so many different versions of such a similar plane, so it's not just you. At least, this time. :)

There is always the insanity of having a 4, 4 1/4 and 4 1/2 planes.  That is three planes made for the same job.  So many variations on the same tool is not exactly new or unique to them.

They even have another new shooting plane!  http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=73208&cat=51&ap=2

The BU line doesn't have machined sides, but it costs more than the low angle model... somebody with a marketing degree knows why they all exist, but not me.

You know... I think there used to be a BU jack and low angle jack and now I only see the latter, so perhaps they are phasing some out.

It is wider blade and weighs more than a pound more. and it has enough ground on the edges that there is a side machining operation even if it is not as large.

There is always the insanity of having a 4, 4 1/4 and 4 1/2 planes.  That is three planes made for the same job.  So many variations on the same tool is not exactly new or unique to them.

Not unique at all.. 

Both planes are low angle planes, that is to say bevel up with a low bed angle. They both have the same 12 degree bed angle. The main difference is the pre cut angle on the blade. Which anyone that has used a low angle plane will tell you that it's silly for them to do that. Take the 25 degree blade out of the package, and three minutes or less and I have any angle I want. no need to re-bevel the entire blade. Not to mention that you still have to apply a secondary bevel to the blade they send you to get the most out of it. One of the planes is closer to a #4 1/2, the other is simply a tad wider. So, no need for both of them which is why one of them is for sale. 

I'd go further, but this is a sale thread. And as such, this is a great plane for the asking price.

• Like 1

I wasn't being critical of having a preference between them, just pointing out that they do have real differences such as a wider blade and being over 25% heavier.  Yes the 2 1/4" inch vs 2" is not quite the 2 3/8" vs 2" of the 4 vs 4 1/2 but it is certainly similar.  So people wondering why they have to similar planes yet they don't seem to question making a 4 and a 4 1/2.

My issue wan't with LV or Stanley having similarly sized planes. It is with the ambiguous naming system that LV has decided to go with. I vividly remember when I first got into woodworking. I picked up a LV catalog and was so completely confused at their offering, and this was a long time ago. At least other companies have a naming system that makes sense. LN for example simple refers to their low angle planes in regards to their purpose, not a name like "High angle bevel up smoothing plane". It's not a high angle plane, it is a low angle plane with a higher angle (supplied) blade. If they wanted to call it the "heavier wider similar to the low angle smoothing plane with a higher angle blade" then I'd have no complaint with it. So to have a blanket statement like above is just silly. 

Boeing has the 747 plane which I love but it's very much the same as a 746 but is a few pounds lighter. The 747 lands with 38 degree flaps bevel up. They use 38 degrees up because they can cause tear out on the runway if not. They could get away with 25 degrees in the same plane but the biggest problem with all of these planes is a loose nut holding the yoke. Usually the safe bet is flying with Captain Lee Nelson and Co-pilot Veri Tas. If you don't value your life fly Delta, they haven't made a good plane, well, ever.

Tom...what were you selling?

• Like 1

My issue wan't with LV or Stanley having similarly sized planes. It is with the ambiguous naming system that LV has decided to go with. I vividly remember when I first got into woodworking. I picked up a LV catalog and was so completely confused at their offering, and this was a long time ago. At least other companies have a naming system that makes sense. LN for example simple refers to their low angle planes in regards to their purpose, not a name like "High angle bevel up smoothing plane". It's not a high angle plane, it is a low angle plane with a higher angle (supplied) blade. If they wanted to call it the "heavier wider similar to the low angle smoothing plane with a higher angle blade" then I'd have no complaint with it. So to have a blanket statement like above is just silly. 

To say nothing about naming everything from a number 1 to a number 4 1/2 as smoothing planes.  They need more descriptive names like Tiny Smoothing Plane, Not Quite so Tiny Smoothing Plane and such.

I got my bevel up smoother today. It's significantly heavier, and a fair bit wider. I also got my Low Angle Jack, which looks like a larger version of the low angle smoother. Veritas, get it together you crazy canutians!

Two awesome planes. I love mine. Have you tried the bu smoother yet? Better than the other one?

Two awesome planes. I love mine. Have you tried the bu smoother yet? Better than the other one?

I don't know if I'd say better. They feel completely different, the BU smoother has a much different feel in your hand versus the LA Smoother. the LA is much more nimble and easy to move around. The BU gave me finer shavings, but I'll attribute that to the 38 degree blade versus 25 degree. I might wind up keeping the LA if nobody buys it soon.  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 50 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Skillfusian
    Newest Member
    Skillfusian