Veritas jointer fence

davestanton

Hey Dave, great video.  Great idea on the angle trick, too!

i have the veritas bevel up jointer which has a different fence system - one that screws to the body of the plane. It also has a set screw to true up the fence to 90 - does the magnetic fence have the same?

also, I found this video has a helpful technique for getting the edge square without a fence:  http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/the-square-edge-trick/

matt

Nice demonstration.

I have never fully understood the need for such a device. The fence requires the face to be flat for a true 90 degree edge to be possible. Which leads me to this... In what application would your edge be wider than your jointer you flattened the face with?

If you have the skill to flatten the face by hand, surely you can use a handplane for the edge to get to 90. 

So, no matter what camp you fall into... power or hand tool, this seems like a solution in search of a problem.

• Like 2

Thanks Dave.

Nice demonstration.

I have never fully understood the need for such a device. The fence requires the face to be flat for a true 90 degree edge to be possible. Which leads me to this... In what application would your edge be wider than your jointer you flattened the face with?

If you have the skill to flatten the face by hand, surely you can use a handplane for the edge to get to 90. 

So, no matter what camp you fall into... power or hand tool, this seems like a solution in search of a problem.

I agree. It could be useful for squaring  the end grain though, when re sizing is not an option. An alternative to a shooting board.

Edited by Daniel.

I have one I bought years ago,  I tried using it once or twice, with mixed results.  So, I picked up some scrap and spent some time learning how to use the fingers on my right hand (I am left handed) as a fence and have never used it since. I keep it around to remind me that it's faster and more reliable to learn the right technique than to buy 'training wheels.'

Nice demonstration.

I guess it could be usueful if you want to remove some mill marks or scallops from a machined edge.   Or if you don't have a jointer.  Some folks partially flatten faces by hand,  then run through a thickness planer to get completely flat and parallel.   Either way I largely agree with you.