can't live without festool product

lferg151

Im in the market for my next festool product. I was just wondering since you are testing out other brands besided festool on the current build what festool products to avoid and which to keep on my future tool list. Currently im looking at the mft/3. 

Which festool products cant you live without in your shop?

Buy what you need, Don't buy festool just to buy festool.  Generally speaking, people put festool into 3 categories

1) Game Changers.  Domino, Sanders (for the dust collection), tracksaw are consider game changers.  There are other tracksaws on the market now but the TS is still probably the best.

2) Really Nice.  These are generally nicer than the competition but not truly revolutionary.  Kapex, Routers. Drills/drivers.   

3) Nice, expensive, but really not a lot better than the competition:  Carvex (their jigsaw).  

The MFT is a nice complement to the track saw, routers, and domino but I don't really think of it as a tool on a standalone basis.  I own the OF1400 router, smaller domino, and 3 different sanders.  I will stick with festool for the sanders and if I ever need/want a larger router.  One day I might buy the bigger domino.  That is pretty much where my festool kit will end.  

I like the quality of their tools overall but there are only a few on my list that i need. I just wanted to see what the general consensus was on what tools as you put it are the game changers. I already own a track saw and a sander. I was looking at the mft/3 as a versatile work station that i could use and stow easily as space is limited in my shop and my table saw is to small to miter cuts in panels. 

The other tool on my list is the larger dominoe and maybe one more sander. I do appreciate the advise thanks

I have to agree with Mike on game changer (definitely domino), nice,  and nice but.  I own the small domino and the Rotex 125.  I want to purchase next, one of the new RO brushless sanders.  I already have an ez smart track saw that I've had for 10 + years that is still very serviceable, even though the Festool tracksaw is a quantum leap ahead of this.  It works fine for breaking down sheet goods (slightly oversize) that I then final size on the sawstop PCS.  I may also in the future get the 700 domino, but that is down the line in purchase wants.  

My $0.02, YMMV

• Like 1

If you wanna get nitty gritty about it, the Domino is the only game-changer remaining in the fleet.  There are reasonable alternatives for all other Festools.  For the rest of them, yes there are features not found in other brands and the DC on many Festools are head and shoulders above the competitors.  But unless you consider DC to be a game-changer, then you can get the job done with many a brand at half the price or less...you just won't have as much fun getting the job done. :)

• Like 1

If you wanna get nitty gritty about it, the Domino is the only game-changer remaining in the fleet.  There are reasonable alternatives for all other Festools.  For the rest of them, yes there are features not found in other brands and the DC on many Festools are head and shoulders above the competitors.  But unless you consider DC to be a game-changer, then you can get the job done with many a brand at half the price or less...you just won't have as much fun getting the job done. :)

For sanding, yes, I consider festool-level DC a game changer.  CEROS is the only real competition and I just don't know much about it.  Its more expensive than FT, I think, so I don't have a huge incentive to learn.  Seems they are more focused on the commercial market.

Is the beadlock system not a reasonable alternative to dominoes?  I don't have one but thought it was a reasonable (and cheaper) alternative, just curious...

No it is not a reasonable alternative.  It does the same thing essentially, which is creates loose tenon joinery, but the Domino does it so much more quickly and precisely that there's really no comparison there.  I'd just cut a traditional joint at that point.

Domino, sander, ct vac.  Those are the festools I could not be without.  I also have the kapex, and I love it, but the Bosch is a reasonable alternative, as is a good cross cut sled.

track saw is on my short list, but I currently get by with a cordless circular saw and edge guide (with a healthy dose of blue tape on th cut line).

I'm generally a fan of FT gear, but don't drink too much of the green Kool-Aid... Only a few pieces of FT kit would be considered a true game-changer... Much is very well made 'also-ran' gear -- but you pay a premium for 'also-ran'... One thing, their customer service is first rate -- so if your 'also-ran' drill chuck goes bad (I've had two of those), they send you a new one no questions asked...

Also note, I've had about 50% of my FT gear needing repair -- which is about 100% more than my Bosch setup... :)  Let's see: Kapex twice (and will need a third), various drills twice, 150/5 once, TS55 Recall, Carvex recall, CT/26 once, CT-Midi once, 130 once, 1400 once... Plus a few others... All fixed for free past stated warranty, but for awhile I was on first name basis with FT's service department...

FT makes good gear, but it's not Hilti... I've never had to repair/replace a piece of Hilti, Bosch or Hitachi kit... By far the worst was DeWalt closely followed by Milwaukee (the new stuff, the old kit was built like a T34)...

Edited by hhh

Also note, I've had about 50% of my FT gear needing repair -- which is about 100% more than my Bosch setup... :)  Let's see: Kapex twice (and will need a third), various drills twice, 150/5 once, TS55 Recall, Carvex recall, CT/26 once, CT-Midi once, 130 once, 1400 once... Plus a few others... All fixed for free past stated warranty, but for awhile I was on first name basis with FT's service department...

There's no such thing as free repairs, unless you don't value your time and your health.

==>There's no such thing as free repairs, unless you don't value your time and your health.

There’s a lot of truth in that... For me, the pain is probably a bit lower because I’ve got quite a few tools – far too many tools - so I can afford to have some out of service from time to time...  But your point is well taken... My point has more to do with FT’s rather open-ended warranty period. I’ve got stuff repaired for ‘free’ years after the warranty expired. Compare that to DeWalt, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Makita, et al where you need the original invoice or you pay full whack...

But back to the OP...

==>Which festool products cant you live without in your shop?

“Can’t” is too strong a word... Chippendale built a lot of great furniture without a Domino...

Let’s rephrase that to, “Which FT products are incorporated into you workflow and would require a change in workflow if unavailable”... That drops the list to the Domino 500, Domino XL, TS55, CS/26, the trim router and, occasionally, the 2200... Now the TS55 is not unique – there are other track saws (I've never used them, so I can't judge)... The CS/26 could be a Fein... The 2200’s capability is rarely needed, but the selection of bases in the accessory kit is very handy...  There are lots of trim routers out there, but FT’s 0d base is very nice... I use FT drills in the shop, but prefer Bosch 18v for cordless and Hilti for corded... The sanders are nice, but I’m using CEROS at the moment... The RO90 can be a handy tool for DIY (the other Rotex units are a waste of space). I'm still on the fence with the new Carvex -- I got it because I've already got a bunch of FT battery tools and didn't want more chargers... The Bosch (DIY) chargers are in the garage and the Milwaukee chargers are up-north.

The RO90 can be a handy tool for DIY (the other Rotex units are a waste of space).

I've seen you say this a few times - would you mind elaborating?  I'm in the market for a rotex unit.  Why is the smaller one so much superior?  Seems like the bigger ones would help you cover a larger area more quickly, which seems important for stripping tasks.

I've seen you say this a few times - would you mind elaborating?  I'm in the market for a rotex unit.  Why is the smaller one so much superior?  Seems like the bigger ones would help you cover a larger area more quickly, which seems important for stripping tasks.

One thing that sets the ro90 apart is the delta head. I love that little sander. I cant comment about the bigger ones though as i only have the 90. Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I'm generally a fan of FT gear, but don't drink too much of the green Kool-Aid... Only a few pieces of FT kit would be considered a true game-changer... Much is very well made 'also-ran' gear -- but you pay a premium for 'also-ran'... One thing, their customer service is first rate -- so if your 'also-ran' drill chuck goes bad (I've had two of those), they send you a new one no questions asked...

FT makes good gear, but it's not Hilti... I've never had to repair/replace a piece of Hilti, Bosch or Hitachi kit... By far the worst was DeWalt closely followed by Milwaukee (the new stuff, the old kit was built like a T34)...

Blasphemy!  FT only makes perfect products according to the posters in the AVE's review thread I posted...  :rolleyes:  You're experience seems to support his findings that there may be some internals that are less than stellar even if they perform very well when they are running. 

FWIW, I think a domino would be my first and maybe only FT product, from watching people using them in videos they seem to really be a game changer.