How would you attach this top?

A couple of cherry and (some kind of) ebony lanterns I'm wrapping up, but undecided how I want to attach the top :-/.  All the joinery to this point is M&T.   Some options I'm kicking around would be dowels, rare earth magnets, or just saying screw it and glue it :-/.  Given their size I'm not too concerned about movement...  Just a little :-)

They'll be wall hung with a French cleat so not going to get messed with too much other than to pull out the drawer to turn on the LED light..  Any suggestions or opinions one way or the other?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Carry the Ebony motif through to the top...

Loose through tenon -- with Ebony wedge... If the ebony columns are square, square through tenon. Round, go round. I did some round loose wedged through tenons (basically drilled from the top for dowels and faked it) for a pair of small tables to attach the tops about ten years ago -- still going strong...

Or Ebony loose tenon -- but that may be too much of a good thing...

Maybe screw it and use Ebony pillow plugs?

Edited by hhh
  • Like 1

Ok, the girls are finally asleep :-)  After thinking about this a bit more, magnets are out..  The french cleat is going to be mounted by the top so it has to be solid.  I'm building this on the fly, so had I given this a bit more thought pegged tenons would have been killer!  Alas, I am past that point :-/

Right now I think it's either dowels or a screwed / square pegged plug kind of a deal..  Kinda leaning towards dowels for simplicity.

@Koop: I'm keeping this very simple for the lighting.  Just going to be a battery powered LED puck light that fits into the drawer and tap to turn on / off.  With Winter coming power outages are pretty common when a big storm rolls in, so just trying to come up with a "stylish" way to provide some basic light till the power comes back on :-)  

I would:

1.  Drill holes into the tops of the legs for dowels and glue the dowels into the leg.

2.  Set the top onto the dowels all nice and square and push down on the top so that you mark the locations of the dowels onto the top.

3.  Drill out the locations where the marks were made in the top.

4.  Glue the top down at dowel locations.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words guys :)!   Colin, feel free to use this idea and make it your own!  I'm not going to sell these, so have some fun with it!  With a better light they would actually work very well as intended.  With the current light, it's about as good as a night light (which is better than nothing at all B))..

• 3 weeks later...