Has anyone considered LED strips for the gaming table?

EvilNuff

I plan on adding LED strips to my table, has anyone else considered this option?  If you want a good primer on LED strips this link is a good intro: http://www.integral-led.com/how-to-choose-an-led-strip

I am thinking a 5050 RGB strip with 60 LEDs/meter and a remote control.  At minimum a 6800mA rechargeable battery pack, though I will go bigger if I can find a good one.  The standard 6800 ones should last an hour with all 3 LEDs on for white light, and longer for colored light or dimmer light of course.

I also like the flush mount channel with opal diffuser here http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=71702&cat=1,43349&ap=1  Though I will probably buy the channel & diffusers from Amazon.

If you put in a dimmer control in addition to color, then you can probably find a setting that won't be annoying.  Might be more "cool looking" than illuminating, but won't be annoying.  I say go for it!  Better to have it and not use it, than not have it and wonder what it would have been like.

How about those menu boards that some restaurants have, that are black glass, but when you write on them with special crayons, the letters light up?  If you made that one of the inserts for the gaming area, you could use it for role playing maps, and customize it for other games (score keeping, bet placing areas, Calvinball rules, etc).

Edited by Beechwood Chip

I think if I was still interested in doing that, I would order one LED strip, dimmer and diffuser, hook it up and look at it for 3 hours or however long your sessions last.  Seems like the dimness level required to not be annoying would be so low as to not provide any benefit.

Now a downward firing LED setup where you could not directly look at the diodes/diffuser would be a different story. But you would need some type of overhang for that to work.  Something as part of an insert like beechwood suggested could be interesting, too.

Even though I bought the gaming table project, I am not doing one, but I'm hoping to use some of the techniques on my desk build. And I'm definitely planning on LED strips. Because it's dark under my desk and when I want to plug something in it's a huge hassle.

• Like 1