Great new wood identification book

phinds

• 4 weeks later...

I bought this book on @phinds recommendation above - and I think it's great. He did a nice job of choosing the right information to put on the page - I particularly appreciate the commentary on: color/appearance, grain/texture, rot resistance, workability, allergies/toxicity, pricing/availability (US-centric), sustainability, common uses. 

He also has data: where it grows, how big it grows, weight, specific gravity, hardness (janka), bending strength, elasticity, crushing strength, shrinkage (including the "patterns" of shrinking - radial, tangential, volumetric, ratio of tangential to radial).

Plus a few pictures.  That's a ton of information crammed into one page!

Only nit / pet peeve (and it's a small one!) is the page numbering - not every page has a number on it.  So when you've found a reference in the index and you're scanning for the page, you can find a run of pages with no or few numbers on them.  (it's because some pages have pictures of projects made from the wood in the spot where the page number would be).