Forget the Roubo, bring on the Shaker!

N00b-in-training

Lots of debate and research has been going on in my shop regarding my first bench build.

Me #1: Build the Roubo, it's what all of the cool kids are doing!

Me #2: The Roubo is pretty awesome, but is it the right bench for the shop?

Me #1: Of course it is, it's a staple in a 'real' woodworkers shop!

Me #2: Well... You're not a real woodworker. Yet. And... you only have a small shop and are mostly a power tool woodworker, do you really need the ultimate workbench?

Me #1: Yes, It's the best.

Me #2: Ya but... You could use more storage space.

Me #1: Forget nice storage space in your small 230sq ft shop. Build a Roubo. Period.

Me #2: Nope. Forget the Roubo, you're building a Shaker Bench. Get the Benchcrafted Shaker Bench plans and get going.

Me #1: ok. 

After lots of debate, I'm moving forward with building the Benchcrafted Shaker Bench. I considered building a Roubo and converting the open space to drawers and shelves but I've convinced myself that as a light hand tool user and very much a power tool user I don't need heft/strength of the Roubo, the plywood base will be strong enough for my needs. I'm looking forward to ordering materials this week and getting started next weekend. I have a number of projects lined up behind this build and ready to get started. Goal: Be done by Christmas.

If you've built the Benchcrafted Shaker and have any tips, please let me know.

• Like 1

Jason I am looking forward to watching this.  I was actually considering the same set plans but would have to do a lot of modification as I only have room for a bench with a bench top 60" long... just out of room here.  I think I will watch yours and see how it goes.  Have fun with this one.

Edited by Chet K.
  • Like 1

I'm going to watch this build as I'm interested in the Shaker Workbench, too.  While it's none of my business, if you don't mind it'd be great to have a ballpark idea of how much it costs to build. I'm planning a workbench build next year. I'm also considering Marc's guild build a Ruobo. 

I just received my FWW "Tools & Shops" mag. Today and in it is a Shaker workbench build. The article is written by Michael Pekovich and Matt Kenny. Beautiful bench with plenty of storage. It says a video is also available at FWW.com/extras to members

• Like 1

I'm going to watch this build as I'm interested in the Shaker Workbench, too.  While it's none of my business, if you don't mind it'd be great to have a ballpark idea of how much it costs to build. I'm planning a workbench build next year. I'm also considering Marc's guild build a Ruobo. 

I just sent the materials list to my lumber yard. I'll share the materials list and cost when I get it tomorrow.

I just received my FWW "Tools & Shops" mag. Today and in it is a Shaker workbench build. The article is written by Michael Pekovich and Matt Kenny. Beautiful bench with plenty of storage. It says a video is also available at FWW.com/extras to members

Thanks for sharing! Just read the article and I really like these plans. Might need to do a hybrid between this and the BC plans...

I added wheels to my bench. I just bolted a block onto each leg at one end, and ran all-thread through for an axle. The wheels are from a Razer scooter. With the bench flat on the floor, the wheels bear no weight. When I lift the opposite end a few inches, the wheels lever downward and allow it to roll. Wouldn't work easily on a really heavy bench.

After another 2 weeks of deliberation, I've decided to go with the new Fine Woodworking Ultimate Shaker Bench plans, my version will pretty much a Roubo but with drawers built in. I might end up with a split top as well. We'll see. I'll add a tail vise and leg vise from BenchCrafted. My local lumber yard was out of 8/4 Soft Maple, it should be here by Wednesday and hopefully I can get it picked up later this week. If I'm lucky, I can take off of work the week of Thanksgiving and get it kick started, however, about all hopes of getting this done before the first of the year are gone...

Assuming I can get the stock width I want, here is the qty I'll need:

4/4 - Poplar - drawer frame, drawer sides/backs, and panels - 50 bd ft

4/4 - Soft Maple - drawer fronts and face frame - 30 bd ft

8/4 - Soft Maple - bench top, bench frame, and leg vise - 120 bd ft

Looks like I'll be about $600 in lumber and another $700 or so in vises from BenchCrafted. 

• Like 1

Looking forward to it! I made mine based on the BC plans which are great plans.

Nice to see another Shaker bench here!

If you have access to hard maple, use that for the top instead of soft. Quite a few people here (including myself) regret using soft. 

Edited by Llama
  • Like 1

It's too soft for a bench top. It is not a top that is meant to last a very long time, and a proper top is just too much work to remake every year. Get the hard maple, and be happy for a much longer time. 

I know that Marc recommended soft maple, and most people here built theirs out of soft maple, but I went with hard maple and no regrets so far. Now I do occasionally see smoke when using bits, and it's damn heavy, but working with it hasn't been a problem. I too read that several wished they had used hard instead of soft, and no one around here sells soft, so hard was the easy choice. 

Hard maple is about 2X harder that soft on the janka scale:

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/differences-between-hard-maple-and-soft-maple/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm back! Things got crazy on the work and home front and I haven't even started yet, that is all changing on Saturday. I've decided to save some $$$ and go all Ash. Also, I've decided to use the FWW plans vs the BC plans. The main reason being is I like the frame construction better (essentially Roubo) on the FWW plans vs the plywood frame from BC. I'll be using a BC leg vise and BC tail vise.

Taking vacation next week (and disabling email on my phone for the week!) and plan on working 12 hours a day on this bad boy for 9 days starting this Saturday! I certainly don't plan a @shaneymack 'A chair that rocks!!' quality journal but will provide an update or two through the day next week.

• Like 2

Welp. Day 0 - lumber pickup day - was a bust, not a total bust but didn't go as planned. My local supplier had lots of inventory when i talked to him on Monday but things changed yesterday. When I got there this afternoon they were out of rough sawn 8/4 Ash and had a limited selection of S2S 8/4 but was 14' lengths. Looks like I got just enough to have a couple of bd ft left. As long as i don't screw up a single layout or cut i'll be good. Probably means i'm screwed.

Benchcrafted Tail Vise question - Anyone install the BC tail vise in a 3" top? The installation plan templates are for a 4" top but says you can install if your top is less than 4". My question is, has anyone installed in a 3" top? It appears they sized for a 4" top to ensure the hand wheel is below the surface of the top, not because of integrity issues. 

My plan (tell me if I'm off). Make the end cap 5" (matching my front apron) and use blocking under the rails of the tail vise to ensure the rails are at the right depth from the top. Whatcha think?

If you're going with the standard 87" top you want to cut your rough boards around 96" to be safe with snipe, etc. If you do that you'll have 6' left over that can't be used for the top.  If you're going shorter or have a way to deal with snipe then you could probably cut those 14' boards in half. 

The BC instructions show how to adjust for tops other than 4". For 3" I think you cut some boards to push the rails down. Were your original plans to go with 3" top? If not I would wait until you get stock to do it how you want and maybe return what you have. This project is a lot of work and you want to do it right the first time. 

2 hours ago, estesbubba said:

If you're going with the standard 87" top you want to cut your rough boards around 96" to be safe with snipe, etc. If you do that you'll have 6' left over that can't be used for the top.  If you're going shorter or have a way to deal with snipe then you could probably cut those 14' boards in half. 

The BC instructions show how to adjust for tops other than 4". For 3" I think you cut some boards to push the rails down. Were your original plans to go with 3" top? If not I would wait until you get stock to do it how you want and maybe return what you have. This project is a lot of work and you want to do it right the first time. 

Thanks! I have planned on doing a 3" top all along. I read the instructions up and down last night and didn't see the info for 3", just looked again and see they have the template on the last page!