Trip to new lumber yard

Tom Cancelleri

Vienna hardwoods in Vienna Virginia.

It's a cluttered disorganized disaster! wood everywhere, dangerous as could be, good prices, if you can find what you're looking for.

fc663b594b435600379024049a17cf29.jpgcf743a896410ede5dbffd45e138e69af.jpg

Looking for some high figured curly maple at least 6" wide for the Rogowski boxes I'm gonna be making. I spot this monster of a board. 12" x 112" x 4/4

1019cf56199730179fb688d7ef17136d.jpg

Zero patience! So I start jointing the face by hand.

eed27e5d3c8047d9a0079727461ab3e8.jpg

Clearly I'm not cut out for jointing by hand since I needed to take a break.

9a96974fda99de1d965f9aa9f5ae1956.jpg

I just wanted to see the grain with some naphtha on it. At $4.93 bf I'll take it!

8433e50bf8760d920046540648cca092.jpg Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Edited by Tom Cancelleri
  • Like 1

I'd rather have good prices than a neat store to shop in, but there's no reason they can't offer both.  That place is a disaster.  Just bad business if nothing else.  Pure laziness.

I actually tripped over some cherry that was lying around. It's run by 1 older guy, and he knows where things are amongst the disaster. He had a decent piece of 8/4 zebrawood at $15 bf. however once I saw that curly hard maple I had to pass on it. I may go back there one day just to search for that one board I may need, since it's one of the closest yards to my house. 

Nice figure on that Tom!

Did you do that planning at the yard?  (If so, did that #7 fit in your back pocket?!?)

Planing I did in my shop. they had a busted ass #5 stanley and the only table surface was the big delta rockwell radial arm saw which he could barely get to.

Tom, just out of curiousity, what would you do with 8/4 zebra wood? Resaw it?

It was a thought. Would make a pretty box, However it was just not in the cards to be brought home. 

I hated that place when I lived in Fairfax.  Only went there twice.  Once, tried to get a half sheet of plywood which was clearly stated on their website that they will do.  Employee had to call the owner at home to ask permission.  This was after I waited for them to open late, after 10 a.m. on a weekday.

Second time, tried to buy some QSWO.  Multiples employees had no idea what I was asking for and would answer with "there might be some oak over there."  Couldn't find any and left after a stack of boards fell by themselves.  That place is very unsafe for customers and employees.  I didn't think the prices for North American HW was great, either.

I much more preferred Northland Forest Products in Manassas.  Very well organized, decent prices, better selection,  and very helpful employees.

• Like 1

I like Dunlap Woodcrafts in Chantilly, and CP Johnson in Elkwood, CPJ is too far though for a quick trip, it's more of an all day affair.

Second this. Cpj has a bargain bin in the corner where everything goes for about 1/2 price. So it's good for finding boards for smaller projects. Northland in manassas is good time. For those of us in northern VA we are blessed with a number of good hardwood lumber yards that are better than the one in Vienna. And for a longer day trip one can make the trek up to hearne hardwoods. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second this. Cpj has a bargain bin in the corner where everything goes for about 1/2 price. So it's good for finding boards for smaller projects. Northland in manassas is good time. For those of us in northern VA we are blessed with a number of good hardwood lumber yards that are better than the one in Vienna. And for a longer day trip one can make the trek up to hearne hardwoods. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought all the wood for my roubo at CPJ. I also bought about 60 board feet of 4/4 medium figured curly hard maple from the bargain bin for about $70. 

I've been to this shop a few times and it has been neater. I think they are having problems keeping full time employees.  Yuri is the owner and a real nice guy but I am sure he just can't keep up with the shop.  They are only 15m from my house so convenience is definitely a factor in my decision to go there...