Storing wood In a shed

JohnDi

My shop is my garage so space is limited. No room for a lumber rack. 

I have a Rubbermaid 7x7 shed that is weather proof (occasionally not mouse proof) and was considering storing my lumber in it. I think I heard Shannon say on WTO that he keeps his lumber in a shed, and Norm built one for the same purpose.

Does anyone here do the same? Does it need to be stickered? Any pitfalls to be aware of?

All of my lumber is KD. Just worry about seasonal changes around here, extreme cold in winter, and it gets hot as heck in there in the summer.

Thanks

Yep, what Shane said.  In all reality, it won't be that different than storing it in your shop since your shop is in the garage...unless you keep your shop conditioned ALWAYS.  Temperature doesn't have much effect on lumber, it's the moisture that makes it swell and shrink.  As long as it stays dry it's not going to have a very different MC than the stock you keep in your shop.  But like Shane said, give it a couple days on stickers to acclimate...just to be safe.

Your biggest problem is the size of your shed.  I have an 8x10 and it's tricky getting 8' boards in there.  You won't be able to store much more than scrap in yours.  But space is space, use it up.

If you have a garage door that comes up on tracks,  I have seen guys place a lumber rack on the garage door wall above it for the long sticks.

I wish I had the ceiling height for this...my tracks are less than a foot from the ceiling so I can't hang anything there...and even the above it on the same wall as the door there's no room...I may try to squeeze a few small racks for rarely-used extra long pipe clamps but that's about it.   Damn garage doors!